Search for content in message boards

VINEGAR, NUBY, GREEN, DODGE, CARROL, and REESE

VINEGAR, NUBY, GREEN, DODGE, CARROL, and REESE

James E. Reese (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vinegar, Nuby, Green, Dodge, Carrol, Reese
Hello I'm looking for information on this family who lived in Owen County on Mountain Island. If any one can help outside the remaining family members with info please e-mail

Re: VINEGAR, NUBY, GREEN, DODGE, CARROL, and REESE

Georgia Green Stamper (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2002 3:46AM GMT
James, have you read Dr. James Bryant's book _ Mountain Island in Owen County, Kentucky, The Settlers and Their Churches_? This is the best researched history of James Herndon (who emancipated the families you name in 1850)and Mountain Island that I have found. Check pages 35 - 48. The book is out of print but can be found in the Owen Co. Library, Scott Co.Library & state Historical Society Lib. I have no information other than Dr. Bryant's to share; I did, however, grow up near Mountain Island and recall local residents who were members of the families you mention: namely, Alec Nuby, Glove Green, and several members of the Vinegar family. Morris Marks is best remembered; Dr. Bryant lists his mother as Jane Carroll. -- Georgia Stamper

shirl (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 5:57PM GMT
I am interested in any and all history on Mountain Island and my family. I would like information on the following families:Marks.Carroll, Vinegar, Carter, Anderson and Jenkins. e-mail me at devitalee@bellsouth.net.

Thank You

Posted: 24 Jun 2005 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Vinegar, Green, Tucker, Sanders
I and James(forementioned in the other post) and my father went on a hike of Mountain Island to physically track our roots there. We found the cemetery of Canada Green and Cord Vinegar. Here is a url listing the other relative that rest in that cemetery: www.rootsweb.com/~kyowen2/cem/greencem.html
I too am looking for more information into the Greens, Nubys and other kin. We met some of the living descendants(most likely my very distant cousins). This mostly on my grandfathers side of the family. I also have Tucker, and Sanders from my grandmother's side who also resided in Owen County.

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 6:19PM GMT
My name is Rev. Walter M. Bledsoe I live in Cincinnati Ohio I am on the Vinegar side we have a reunion every year in Georgetown Kentucky the Carrol's Marks and Vinegar who are all the people of Mountain top Island some Nuby's come Green's and the last Reese died to our knowleg his name was Ronald if you are looking fore any of these people the 28th of July 2007 the will be in Georgetown Kentucky the place is called the center of town

My greatgrand Father's name was Willie Green he was also from Owenton hope you find your roots

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 11:40PM GMT
That sounds inviting. If I had a couples of months notice I would have definitely gathered many family member there. Thanks for the invite. I will have to get your info so we can trade family information and pictures. I am pretty much the family historian and investigator on the Raymond Green side of the family. Here is my email: threeg@iwon.com

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 3:59AM GMT
Georgia, I haven't read it I'll try to search for it up here in Seattle.....Found anything new yet fill free to contact me via jreese5384@aol.com hope to hear from you soon.....James

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 4:15AM GMT
Rev. Bledsoe there are many Reeses still living up in Cincinnati that are kin to the Mountain Island crew which also includes Smiths, Fletchers and many more...I can be reached at jreese5384@aol.com or 206 768-1911 h or 206 384-2507 Loretta Reese is my mother who lives in Cincinnati 513-221-6336...

James
PS Me, Glen and his father Charles explored the land that is still in the family down in Kentucky...

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 4:45AM GMT
Georgia,
One more thing the families that James Herndon freed where the Joshua and Dolly Vinegar and thier children, George and MIlly Carroll and their children, and Geroge Smith and his children. Allen Nuby married one Fanny Vinegar who had children, his daughters Alverta married Canada Green, MAry Halloway married Louis Reese, and the other daughter married Dodge. So Nubys married into the Vinegar Clan.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions