Search for content in message boards

Deleting Data

Deleting Data

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 4:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have spent hours tracing people from newspaper articles, only to come back a day or so later to find the information totally swiped out. This has happen on several ocassions. Has this happen to others? I have called about this and have been told this can not happen - it does. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening?

Re: Deleting Data

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 6:01AM GMT
Exactly where did you put the data? As facts, in citations, in sources?

Do you happen to have more than one FTM file?

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 3:01PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2012 3:09PM GMT
I've been using FTM for 20 years and would have to agree with the FTM support. I've never experienced FTM "losing" data.

I agree with the previous post that you probably posted the info to a different file - a backup?

Or... A different person - a spouse or child or person with the same name. I've done that on several occasions. Posted an occupation for the father to the mother; or even a parent's data to a child or a child's data to a parent, by accident. Try searching by the filter at the bottom of the index for a text string that you can recall in what you think is lost. You can search in individual facts, or throughout your file (use the "other" selection.). Or use Edit > Find.

What type of info is missing? Text in a fact description or notes, or a whole fact? A whole person is gone? A Spource? A media item - was it attached to a person or fact or source?

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 4:55PM GMT
Whole people are missing. I find a newspaper article I believe is associated with a person in my tree and attach it. 85% of the infomation in the article fits my people, but I can't figure out the other 15%. I come back later and it's gone. So then I think maybe the article isn't my guy. I start another tree to see how/if they fit. I attach the article to both trees, double check. Come back the next day to continue the puzzle only to find it gone again. It's like information found during the daily maintenance that doesn't conform to some master file gets swipe out. But that's my problem, I'm trying to see the connect.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 5:01PM GMT
I don't understand.

You said whole persons are missing from your file.

Then you said an image that you imported into FTM is missing.

Which is missing - a person you had in your file - or an image??
????

Is this an article from ancestry where you are using ancestry's merge function? CAn you give the url of that page - where the article is?

PS What version are you using?

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 9:53PM GMT
Both. And yes I use the merge function.

I use ancestry.com on my desktop for visual purposes & the point and click. Then I have family tree maker on my laptop. I sync the trees, double check - they both are showing the same number of people, spot check & they appear to have the same media (newspaper) attached. All is well. Then I come back in a day or so and things have changed.
Sometimes it's the attachment that is gone, other times it's the whole person - attachments and all.

Ex1: I have my main tree. I have trace someone who is living with their great uncle, but I don't know how this person is his great uncle. I start another tree to see how these people are connected. I make the connection and merge the two trees.

Ex2: I find a newspaper article in ancestry.com and 85% matches my guy, but it lists another brother I know nothing about. I start another work tree, showing all information from the article and start tracing to find the connection. I attach the article to both trees - main and work. I can not make the connection, so I put it away for now and come back later with fresher eyes. Only when I come back a week later the work tree only has 1 person in it. This has happen more than once. At first I thought silly me and re-did the tree. But this has happen more than once. Something more than me is happening in the process.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 9:58PM GMT
Have you invited anyone to your ancestry online tree, with Editor access?

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 10:04PM GMT
No to editor control, 2 as quests.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic