Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 given vs family name

FTM 2012 given vs family name

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am attempting to eventually import a tree of 123 people, from Hungarian researcher. unfortunately, in their entry process they have switched the given and family names. is there any way short of editing each individual file to switch the names (or more exactly, their classification)?

thanks.

Re: FTM 2012 given vs family name

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 4:39PM GMT
If you're getting this as a GEDCOM, the parts of the name ought to be identified as part of the file so that FTM knows how to import them. If that's not the case, since it's only 123 people, you should just manually fix it. That would probably be fastest by opening the GEDCOM in a text editor and making your changes there.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 5:48PM GMT
thanks. i suspect a manual approach is going to be the solution. not too hard within FTM.

i checked the exporting program (GenoPro™.) and it notes "The individual's name is exported in the format "FirstName+MiddleName/LastName" rather than "FirstName/MiddleName/LastName"..."

i opened the gedcom and, as an example, have this:
"1 NAME KOVÁCS Rozália/(*Rakamaz) where the originator has used the location as the "last name". oh well. nothing else to do today anyway.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 6:37PM GMT
The problem there is that the GEDCOM isn't being made correctly by GenoPro, because it's not designating the name parts according to the GEDCOM standard. Hungary is just one of many cultures that places an over-name before given names. Guess GenoPro is just targeting western European cultures.

PS. It's a whole lot easier to cut and paste in the GEDCOM than to do all the pointing and clicking necessary to do the same in FTM (where you have either to use slash symbols around the surname or open the name details window).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions