Search for content in message boards

Synching one tree with AMT and two computers

Synching one tree with AMT and two computers

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 3:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can I link and synch a tree to a PC and laptop? Using FTM 2012 and Windows 7. Learning how to use the synch function on my PC where the file is currently linked and synched with AMT. I want to link and synch the tree with my laptop as well. I was using DropBox cloud feature to synch my two computers, but the synch funtion often doesn't work (hangs up in the middle of the process) and I think the problem may be that "synch functions are trying to update at the same time resulting in a conflict.
Thanks
John

Re: Synching one tree with AMT and two computers

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 3:57AM GMT
Why don't you do data entry on your laptop directly to the ancestry tree?

Or, just do the Dropbox thing and forget about sync. If you need an ancestry tree, upload one once a month or so.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 3:08PM GMT
Good thoughts. I am quite new at attaching/linking ancestry records to my PC tree and trying to decide whether working on the tree online is "better" than working on the PC or laptop and attaching images of the ancestry records. Any thoughts?
Also, if I unlink and periodically upload my updated tree from the PC to ancestry, can I maintain the name and will it just overwrite the existing tree with the changed data and facts? I see lots of multiple trees on ancestry and can never determine why and which one might be the most current.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 4:53PM GMT
In my opinion, making your FTM file your "main" file is better, using tree ancestry tree primarily for publication and to possibly enter data when in a remote location - like a library or genealogy trip.

I have seen too many problems with syncing. I won't be syncing for quite awhile until ever - depending on whether these things get fixed. I don't feel I need it.

As to your second question, that is why sync was introduced. Unfortunately each separate upload is a new tree, with a new url and creates a second file, which should be deleted. This requires notifying people that your file has moved. Or, they can find you by re-searching their name and looking for your tree name.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 5:04PM GMT
I sync with AMT and two computers, but I don't do this routinely. When I do, I copy my FTM file to my laptop along with the sync files that are located in C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\FamilyTreeMaker. It's these files that you're missing.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions