Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2012

Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 12:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Please help. I have not used my FTM since nov 8 2012 and everything was fine. Tried to use it today but it wouldnt start. It says "family tree maker 2o12 was not properly closed the last time it was used. You may need to comact your last opened file to resolve any issues caused by an improper shutdown" well I read a few other post before I decided to post. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 12 times rebooted 15 times still.says same thing. I uninstalled and installed 2009,2010,2011 only to have it say the same thing. Program dosent start at all and I installed with admin rights. Any help? Thanks

Re: Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:01AM GMT
First, what OS are you using?

Can you post a screen shot of the error?

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:09AM GMT
Windows 7 home. I can try to post one

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:22AM GMT
I have no way of doin a screen shot

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:29AM GMT
@jasonlawless said:"I have no way of doin a screen shot"

Sure you do. :-)

You can either use the "snip_it tool" that is provided by Win7 or do a CTL+ALT+Printscreen and paste it into WS-Paint and save the result as a jpg file.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 3:47AM GMT
Can I ask what version of FTM you have please.
ie Australia and New Zealand edition of the one from US site?

I ask as I am trying to determine if there is a difference in programs and if one is more problematic than the other.

Please let us all know how your problem was resolved or if it still exists.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 3:56AM GMT
Familt tree maker 2012 from united states.... I have not resolved problem yet. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling again, and same problem....
Toshiba 64 bit
6 gig ram
65o gig hd
Windows 7 home premium

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 4:14AM GMT
I have had this problem a few times myself. I think you will find that your file is corrupt and is NOT recoverable. I never managed to recover mine.
In one instance I had a new created backup that I could restore from. Another time I recovered from the auto backup that FTM makes when you close the program. I am not at my home computer at the moment and not sure what the file extention is for the auto backup.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 4:36AM GMT
Well I have backup copy of every thing on am external hard drive and FTM wont even open the back up copy. FTM wont open at all

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 4:55AM GMT
okay try transferring your back up file to your home drive and then try it.
According to ancestry feedback program has to be on home drive and the file also.
I found this to be true when I got my new computer.
But now ironically I can actually get it to open files on my external hard drive without a problem.

Try the move to home drive which for most of us C drive in Family tree folder or what folder you last stored them in.

Good luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions