Search for content in message boards

Le Gallez - Guernsey - Channel Islands

Le Gallez - Guernsey - Channel Islands

Posted: 14 Jul 2001 7:10AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2001 9:31AM GMT
Surnames: LeGallez, Brouard, Gallien, Langlois
Hi all
I am looking for any information on my maternal grandmother's family. Mainly the Le Gallez line, but also on the following names.
Please keep in mind the dates are very rough.
Henry Brouard & Marguiritte Gallienne - 1650's
Marie Brouard & Daniel Langlois - 1680's
Marie Langlois & Thomas Le Gallez - 1710's
Thomas Le Gallez & Margaret Corbin - 1740's

Any information will be gratefully received.....

Thank you in advance...

Ros Gallagher
Sydney
Australia

Re: Le Gallez - Guernsey - Channel Islands

John Schultze (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2001 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Le Gallais
I have Philip Hubbard arriving in Kittery, York, ME abt 1669. His parents were Jean Hubert who m. 1662 St. Heliers, Jersey, Channel Is. to Elizabeth Le Gallais b. abt 1635 St. Heliers. Jean and/or his wife took Philip to America. Elizabeth's father was Phillippe Le Gallais b. abt 1603 in St. Heliers wife unknown.

Posted: 24 Jul 2001 10:16PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2003 5:05AM GMT
Surnames: gallez
is it possible that the le was drop ftom the legallez name
did they live in or around yates county new york
or was there a samual gallez in the legallez family tree
he was born around 1793 in canda or ny

dan gallez
ddg65@aol.com

where id the channels islands???

Posted: 24 Jul 2001 10:21PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2003 5:05AM GMT
Surnames: gallez
could the le have been drop from the legallez
had a samual gallez born in yates co. new york
born 1794 about then
any iforamtion will help
dan gallez

ddg65@aol.com

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Le Gallez, Langlois, Brouard, Corbin
Hi Ros,
I was interested to see that we share some family lines. Here's the information that I have regarding the families you are interested in. My apologies if you already know this, as I see that your message is a year old now. Also, some of my dates are approximate as well:

Henry Brouard (b. abt. 1684) married Marguerite Gallienne (b. abt 1666) in abt 1684. They had 2 children that I know about:
Thomas (b. 1686) who married Sara Le Messurier (1686-1731) in 1707. Their daughter Marguerite Brouard (b. 1712) married her cousin Thomas Le Messurier and they had many children (one of which is my direct ancestor). If you are interested in the Le Messurier side, I have plenty of information.

The second child of Henry and Marguerite was Marie Brouard b. abt. 1688. She married Daniel Langlois, but I'm not sure when - probably around 1705. They had 4 children:

1. Rachel (b. abt. 1706, d.1775) who married Leonard Corbin in 1723. They had 6 children: Rachel (who is also my direct ancestor), Leonard, Jean, Margueritte and Elizabeth.

2. Madeleine (b. 4 April, 1713). She married Daniel Robin in 1745 in St. Pierre-du-Bois Church.

3. Marie (your line) who married Thomas Le Gallez

4. Marguerite, who married Abraham Massey

Marie Langlois and Thomas Le Gallez had a son, also called Thomas, who married Margueritte Corbin, daughter of Rachel Langlois and Leonard Corbin (see 1. above) and therefore married his first cousin. So, in effect, you are descended from TWO daughters of Marie Brouard and Daniel Langlois.

I hope this was of some help.

I don't have any information about the children of Thomas Le Gallez and Margueritte Corbin, so I would be grateful if you could also pass on any information that you might have.

Regards

Mandy Bennett

(BTW, I live in Guernsey, so I might be able to do some on-the-spot research if you require it)

Posted: 1 Feb 2003 1:15PM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2003 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: Le Gallez
If it's any help to you, the Le Gallais spelling is from Jersey, the Le Gallez spelling is a Guernsey one.

Posted: 1 Feb 2003 1:18PM GMT
For info the Channel Islands are just off the north coast of France, Jersey the largest and most southern, Guernsey 20 miles north, plus other small islands too. My family ancestry is Le Gallez and I was born in Guernsey. I have relatives who went to Canada, Hamilton I believe, but that was just after WWII.

Posted: 2 Feb 2003 5:09AM GMT
my family came from area in france called nord)
they came to canada then went to yates co. in the state of new york
then to danville ill
where does your family come from in france??

dan gallez

Posted: 2 Feb 2003 2:51PM GMT
Hi Dan

My aunty told me that our family left France when the Hugenots were being persecuted and that's how they ended up in Guernsey, not far from France. I believe there are still Le Gallez in northern France, my mum saw the name on a shop in a small town she visited. My gr gr grandfather was a contemporary of Victor Hugo who was living in exile in Guernsey, he used to cut his hair and beard and was one of his few friends on the island. So, that's my claim to fame!!
Nice to hear from someone with the same family name!

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 7:48AM GMT
Surnames: Bichard Young Grant
Found the following while looking for info on my Martha Bichard who married John Young in Victoria Aust in 1854:
Entry no: 171
Joseph Langlois/age:Major/Widower/plasterer/ Boisat. m. Rachel Bichard/jr/ spinster/ "On the banks" in Victoria [Zamd {?}] Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Rites, in presence of Nicolas Marquis Bichard, Mar 25 1856

I think Rachel may have been Martha's sister, any clues?
John and Martha had a daughter named Alice who married John Grant in Dunedin NZ in 1886
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions