Search for content in message boards

O'Connell

O'Connell

Bob Ford (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Connell, Cain, Clifford
Seeking information about Michael O'Connell who married Margaret Cain in Castleisland c. 1830
Also seeking information about about John Clifford who married Mary Ford and Daniel Clifford his brother who married Mary's sister Catherine Ford. They lived in Chaersiveen before moving to NY

O'Connell - Caherciveen

Posted: 5 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2001 4:43PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connell
Dear BoB: My O'Connell roots are from the Caherciveen area a little way out on the outskirts a place called Fermoyle. My gggrandfather was Thomas O'Connell, one of nine boys. His father being Thomas also. My gggrandfather owned land in Fermoyle as well as one other brother and I know that a few of them also lived in Caherciveen, but that whole area is dominated by the O'Connell name. Thomas and his wife Mary Keating couldn't stand another raise in taxes so he immigrated to Colchester, Ct. 184?. I haven't found the ship yet, but it was hired by the landlord and I have his name tucked somewhere in my files to get to one of these days. Now, also in Colchester, Ct. there are a lot of Cliffords; infact, one of my great grandfather's brother's daughter married a Clifford, and they lived in Naugatuck, Ct. When they all died, they were buried in Colchester. Three years ago I traveled to the area, and met a fourth cousin and his family who still have land in Fermoyle. His name is Jack O'Connell and he married Sheila O'Connell, who was an O'Connell from the other side of the mountain. I also received an e-mail from another person looking for O'Connell from Caherciveen and I have her on hold until I can write to my cousins in Ireland to see if they know her family. I hope that this doesn't sound all confusing and if you need to ask questions, don't hesitate.

O'Connell

Posted: 6 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2002 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: O'Connell, Shea, Moran, Healy, O'Sullivan, Murley, Murphy
I have a Mary Connell m. Daniel Moran. Both born 1810+-
child Jeremiah Moran b. 1833 Moran's were from Boolakeel a small village near Caherciveen.

O'Connell-Colchester, CT

Mark Becker (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connell, Moriarty
Rita: James O'Connell and Johanna Moriarty had 7 children: Minnie O'Connell, Ellen F. O'Connell, Getrude O'Connell, John Edward O'Connell, Thomas O'Connell, Anna O'Connell and Margaret Teresa O'Connell.

O'Connell-Colchester, CT

Mark Becker (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connell, Shugrue, Moriarty
Rita: My gggrandfather was also a Thomas O'Connell who came to Colchster, CT. in the early 1850's to work in the rubber mill. His wife was Johanna Shugrue. I have no info on his family in Ireland, but research in Colchester states that the Irish who came to work in the mill were recruited in Caherciveen. I only have info on one son, James O'Connell who married Johanna Moriarty and had 4 children; Minnie, Ellen, Gertrude and John Edward. They moved to Norwich, CT. when the mill closed. Any relation? Could use some help.

MORAN

KEVIN MORAN (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MORAN
MY FAMILY ARE MORANS FROM BOOLAKEEL MY GRANDFATHER WAS JOHN MORAN BORN ABOUT 1868 ANY INFO FARTHER BACK IS APPRECIATED.

O Connells

Rose (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O CONNELL, KEATING, WALSHE, MULVEY, FAYE, O LEARY, O NEILL, MURPHEY, DAWLEY, O SHEA
HELLO
JAMES DESCENDED FROM THE O CONNELL FAMILY OF FERMOYLE,HIS ANCESTORS EMIGRATED FROM FERMOYLE,7 miles outside CAHERCIVEEN,CO KERRY in the 1850s .

Moran Boolakeel

Posted: 28 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT

Boolakeel Morans

Paul Keroack (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Moran, Connell
Dear Mary Ann:
In response to this and earlier postings by you and Kevin Moran, I have a cousin via an [O] Connell line who is interested in the same Mary Connell/Daniel Moran of Boolakeel as yourself. She says Mary was from the village of Cill Rialiag, which I haven't found on any list, but which apparently does not exist today). I don't think she has any more names than you but in my attempt to help her (she does visit Ireland annually and has relatives in Waterville) I copied the Griffiths list of lessees (18 of them) for the townland of Boolakeel, parish of Prior, Barony of Iveragh (ca.1851). What struck me is that Daniel Moran holds the largest plot (38+ acres out of a total of 191+). Several others have between 15 and 20 and the rest less. I did not copy the value of the land- maybe the largest plots are barren hillsides! He was also the only Moran, other surnames included Sullivan(s), Sugrue(s), Conner(s), Connell, White and Fitzgerald. I scanned the other townlands of Prior and the only other Morans were in Kinard East (John), and Sussa (Patrick, Michael, Denis, John, all sharing plot #6, Thomas and Jeremiah). I would guess then that the Morans may be connected to other places. My impression is that the parishes surrounding Ballinskelligs Bay had much communication with each other. My cousin is descended from another Moran (Mary Moran who married Geoffrey Connell (see posting of 2 Dec 1999 on this list for that couple) - this Mary, daughter of Daniel, is said to be from Derriana townland, Dromod parish; she marries Geoffrey of Tooreens townland, Kilcrohane parish. Whether this suggests some relation way back, I'm not sure. There aren't too many Morans in Kerry, according to J. King's strange little 1931 book. I'm thinking of checking the Tithe applotment list for Boolakeel (1827) to see who was listed then. References say that R.C. records for Prior parish date back only to 1832. My cousin does not have e-mail but I can relay comments/questions you might have for her. She's hoping to find more herself.
Sincerely, Paul Keroack

Moran boolakeel

Posted: 31 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions