Search for content in message boards

How to enter no children or no marriage

How to enter no children or no marriage

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
In FTM, is there a way that I can clearly identify people who never married versus just leaving blank (which may indicate they never married or it is unknown) ? Similarly, is there a way of indicating if a married couple never had children versus leaving open (and therefore unknown)?

Re: How to enter no children or no marriage

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 3:56PM GMT
pmasleks,

Here is one way to do the Never Married event:

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-enter-individual-...

Here is another:

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-to-document-relation...

The only issue to consider here is "Are You Sure" that there was no children or that they never married. Is it possible that we just haven't found a record. (reasonable exhaustive search).

If a child died young, do you need to mark that person as "never married".

I am only suggesting that you think about the use of the two 'options' you asked for. The Blog only shows how you might do it, and I have. Young child, I don't need to mark it, but IF I find some indication, like a newspaper article, then I would use the options described.

I normally just "leave it open".

One users opinion.

Russ

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Dec 2012 7:32PM GMT
I have a custom fact for notes. I call it Note.

I enter what I know, for example:

"No children" per 1928 Smith genealogy
No children in 1850-1870 census
Found "married" with no spouse 1880 census
Sally showed 0 ch born, 0 ch living in 1900 census

or whatever.

I try to stay clear of saying "no children" as an outright statement because one never knows for sure. This is especially true for

1) children born 1881-1885 who left home by 1900; but also for (missing the 1890 census will haunt us forever)

2) children born to family, wife dies, grandparents raise the child - never found in the census of either parent

3) Child given up by woman for adoption.

4) As for unrecorded children of men... well, that's always an open question - from one night stands to affairs (whether adulterous or not) to whatever.

etc, etc.

So, I try to be specific with what I know.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 4:29PM GMT
Edited: 9 Dec 2012 4:30PM GMT
Thanks for the information. I rarely would use this identification, but yes when a child dies in rarely childhood I am 100% sure he/she would not have married or had children. Only other case is first hand knowledge, so would be recent. I agree that not good to say not married or have no children based on census data etc..

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 5:30PM GMT
pmasleks,

I think you may have missed my point on a young person dying. I would NOT use any custom / user created Fact. I can tell by looking at the birth and death dates, that there wouldn't be a marriage, nor children.

Just wanted to clarify that.

Russ

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 2:05AM GMT
I use a different method of recording this information. If my sources say someone never married, then I will enter "d. unm." (died unmarried) in the death description field. Similarly, if my sources mention various other facts such as someone not having children, I will use the commonly used shorthand from the English noble/royal linage books, i.e. "d.s.p." (Latin, decessit sine prole -- died without issue)

A list of these abbreviations can be found here...
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~randyj2222...

Another method that I sometimes use for couples who a source says had a specific number of children is a shared fact called "Children". For example, if the 1900 Census says 9 children, 7 living, I will create an instance of the Children fact for that couple with the date as 1900 and the description as some variation of "9 ch., 7 living".

If my sources said the couple had no children, I would enter "No issue" in the description field of the Children fact. Having this method in addition to the other method above is especially useful for situations where a specific couple are noted as not having any children together, but either or both people had (or might have had) children by another spouse.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 12:00AM GMT
Here is a little trick I use.

In the marriage place field, I enter the location as *never married*. This shows up on all the reports and will transfer in a GEDCOM to other software programs. By putting the asterisk in front of the phrase, it always shows up at the top of the place master list and I just click "ignore" for this location when I do my location clean-ups. I can also use this "location" to quickly locate everyone in the tree listed as never married just by running a location report. It is a simple work-around without getting into creating custom facts that may get lost in a gedcom transfer.

I agree with the other posts about being careful about listing anyone over the age of 12 as having no children. I had a 7th great-grandmother who was married at 11 and having children at 12 (it was the early 1600's and a political marriage). I have also done a lot of cemetery indexing and find many infant graves for children who were born and died between census years and before formal birth records were created. The tombstone is often the only record that these children ever existed. If you want to document no children, you can use the same trick with a location called *never married, no children*

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 4:11PM GMT
I agree with Silverfox.
"I try to stay clear of saying "no children" as an outright statement because one never knows for sure"

Unless one knows first hand, that a person never had children or was never married, it should NEVER be so stated.

Many a child was given up for adoption or even just sent to live with an aunt.
I have a person that was found to have been "never" married, but records show that he fathered 8 children with 5 different unmarried females.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions