Search for content in message boards

Windows 8 and FTM 2006 compatibility

Windows 8 and FTM 2006 compatibility

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 11:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Good news!!!!! We can use FTM 2006 with windows 8 32 and 64 bit. Just set it up the same as with windows 7 using the patch for vista and windows 7. There may be a problem with the pdf part of the program but just buy a cheap pdf program and print it to pdf. It does the scrapbook beautifully as usual.

Re: Windows 8 and FTM 2006 compatibility

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 12:40PM GMT
Not sure I understand this. The main point of the update patch was to solve the pdf problem with Vista and then W7. This post suggests that the update patch doesn't work on W8.

Mind you, for W7, I've usually had to run it in XP compatibility mode as well. Is this option available in W8, and if so, does it resolve the pdf problem?

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 4:57PM GMT
No, the pdf add in program just does not work. One can install a third party pdf driver/printer and just use the "print" command from within FTM and selecting the third party pdf printer.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 7:40PM GMT
I just use Adobe PDF printer software to print to PDF. This enables you to use the program in both windows 7 and 8. It says it is not compatible but it works just fine this way.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 9:02PM GMT
We are hearing from people who are using third party workarounds. This has always been possible. But it wasn't actually needed for W7. The inbuilt pdf could be used successfully with the patch and XP compatibility mode. It would be nice to hear from someone who did this on W7 and whether they could do it after upgrading to W8.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 12:31AM GMT
Would you give me the link to get the patch?

I had to have my computer re-formatted and my FTM 2006 won't load/run correctly. Neither will a lot of my other programs. The guy who fixed it put in Windows 8
Thanks
Carol

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 1:55AM GMT
Here is the link for the patch for FTM 2006. But first try running your FTM 2006 as administrator sometimes that works. http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2777/~/famil...

The patch is actually for vista and windows 7 but also works for windows 8. FTM 2006 should load in no problem then you add the patch. This link gives you all of the instructions on how to do it.
Good luck

Rita

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 2:23AM GMT
I used it in windows 7 (non XP compatible) for more than a year and in windows 8 since December 2012 and it works fine. It prints fine to PDF but I cannot tell you if it does it on its own or if my PDF printer is doing it. In any case you can buy cheap PDF printer software.

I use FTM 12 but I don't like the media photo album option in FTM 12. It looks amateurish so I use FTM 2006 for the photo album option and create beautiful photo albums for each family then I incorporate it all in a single PDF e-book that can be viewed on the computer or printed in a binder.

Hope that this answers your question.

Rita

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 3:38PM GMT
Rita,
When you say "FTM 12" do you mean Version 12 (from many years ago) or the 2012 version (today's version)?

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 4:02PM GMT
windows 8 with FTM 2012 the most recent one.

Rita
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions