Search for content in message boards

Norwegian Lutheran Children's Home in Chicago, Illinois, US

Norwegian Lutheran Children's Home in Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 7:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Westboy, Westby
Does anyone have any information on the Norwegian Lutheran Children's Home in Chicago, Illinois, US? Looking to see if they have records for the children who were placed there, preferably around 1910?

I've had a brickwall with my Great-grandfather, named Roy William Westboy. Family stories say that he was an orphan and he was Norwegian. Not much else is known, and not much luck finding the name "Westboy" anywhere. But just recently I found a William "Westby" listed on the census living at NLCH.

Is anyone familiar with this place?

Thanks!

Re: Norwegian Lutheran Children's Home in Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 4:40AM GMT
Westboy could very well be the anglicized version of the common Norwegian name "Vestby".

Brian

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 1:28PM GMT
You may want to contact the institution below for any records.

Joel Thoreson
Chief Archivist for Management, Reference, and Technology
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Archives
321 Bonnie Lane
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
Joel.Thoreson@elca.org

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 3:05PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 22 Apr 2012 12:20PM GMT

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 3:09PM GMT
Thank you very much for the information. I sent him an e-mail today.

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 3:38PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I have conflicting information about his birthdate. Death certificate says 1/1/1880, WWI draft card says 1/1/1887, and marriage cert says he was born in 1886. However, I have pictures of him and he looks very young. My Great-grandmother was much older then him when they married, and he could have exagerated his age.

WWI draft card says he was born in Kristiana, Norway. Other papers reagarding my grandmother say her father was born in Norway. Death certificate says he was born in Illinois. The 1930 census says he was born in Louisiana, which I do not believe to be correct.

I do know he was living in Thompsonville, Michigan around 1918 possibly to the 1920s, and worked as a cattle buyer/farmer. Then lived in Barrington Township, Cook County, Illinois around the 1930s.

He died 7/21/1953 in Chicago. According to his death certificate his parents were John Westboy and Mary Gonzales. I don't know if this is correct, the certificate was filled out by the hospital. Info wasn't given by any relatives.

He had one child, Judith Helen Wilhelmina Westboy born 3/16/1918 in Chicago, IL. Was married to Wilhelmina (Minnie) Albertina Johnson on 2/10/1917 in Chicago. I believe he and Minnie may have been separated or divorced. I don't think they lived together for very long. Judith and Minnie went back to Sweden a couple of times to live with Minnie's family while Judith was young. Roy did not go with them.

Family stories of Roy say he was born in Norway and traveled, via England, eventually getting to the states. Also have heard he was an orphan.

This is all the information I have on him, with the exception that he did tons of needlework. I have several pieces he made.

I would like to know what family he came from and where. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 4:37PM GMT
Hi,
I think you may have combined a few different poeple into one. The William Westby listed in the 1910 census at the Norwegian Lutheran Children's Home in Chicago was 14 years old and born in Illinois. Your Roy William Westboy would have been 30 years old (if born in 1880). Also, the 1920 census shows a William Westby, born in Illinois ca. 1896 living in Dunkirk, Wisconsin. This is probably the one you found in the children's home in 1910.

Strange, that the Roy Westboy listed in the 1930 census shows his parents as being from South America.

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 4:40PM GMT
The William Westby from Illinois is married and living in Madison, Wisconsin in the 1930 census.

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 4:43PM GMT
He was born 12 July 1896 in Chicago, the son of Norwegian parents.

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 4:28PM GMT
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. You may be right. I did see the William Westby living in WI. There are quite a few Westbys living in the Dane and Rock county areas of Wisconsin. However, I think its worth looking into.

One thing I remember hearing is that he had lied about somethings. Not sure what they were, but I'm guessing part of it could have been his age. A picture I have of his wedding day, he looks much younger then 36, which is what he would have been if born in 1880. Being my great-grandmother was older, he could have twisted his age a bit.

I've been trying to look at every Roy/William/Ray Westboy/Westbay/Westby, and deduct all that are absolutely not him.

I'm also trying to get copies of my great-grandmother's naturalization records to see if there is any information in those regarding him. We'll see.

Thanks again for your help!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic