Search for content in message boards

James Casey, LaSalette Ontario

James Casey, LaSalette Ontario

Casey Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CASEY, MCDONALD, OLMSTEAD
I am researching my gggrandfather James Casey, b. 1840 in Ireland. He emigrated to LaSalette area and m. Martina McDonald on Nov. 21, 1865. Martina died btwn 1876 and about 1880 and he m. Ann Olmstead, daughter of Moses and Alice (McCortney)sometime shortly after.
Between both wives there were nine children, all believed to have been born in LaSalette: John F., Michael Bernard, Moses, Charles, George, Edward, Kate, Margaret (Taylor) and Annie Luella, who became Sister Mary Ida of the Sisters of St. Joseph in London, Ontario. We are not sure on which kids came from which wife, except for Michael Bernard from Martina and Annie Luella and Moses from Ann.
Any info is appreciated! Casey

Re: James Casey, LaSalette Ontario

cv (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2001 9:34PM GMT
Most of this information can be located in the Old and New
La Salette Cemetery &Catholic Church records. I have not done any extensive search into the Mac Donalds. But my relatives are also Mc Donalds. I have some of that info also. Neil Casey married Agnas Mc Cauley there is a McCauley Mc Donald Connection as well. Any how-Bernard Casey Born May 19, 1881., Anne Luella, BVorn July 25, 1890-
Mary Alice Kate Bell, April 28, 1887-daughter of James & Ann.
Headstone of the Casey's in the cemetery reads Catherine M. I assume this is Margaret Died Feb. , 1920, aged 32- therfore a daughter of Ann & James. Charles died Aug. 12 1919 at age 59, therfore born 1860- probably Martina.
there is a John son of James cassey and Martina McDonald Born Feb. 22, 1871. There is no mention of Moses. Perhaps this was a middle name. I have only touched the surface of the inscriptions. I may have a copy of the Lasalette church history. In it there is probably a phot of the nun. Please contact me direct. Thanks --James Casey 25, rediding Windham, born Ireland, s/o Ryan Casy & Mary Smith to Martina McDonald 19, residing Windham, born Canada, d/o Michael McDonald & Margaret mcMicken, November 21, 1865, Witnes H. Bridgeman & Margaret McDonald, Father Japes

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 12:02PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2003 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: Power, Powers
Where could I find the Old and New
La Salette Cemetery & Catholic Church records...My 3x G Grandfather was born in Ontario, I found him in the 1851 Houghton Township, Norfolk County, Ontario census.......
His name was Richard Powers born 1839, His father James was born in Ireland about 1805...I am desperate to break through the brick wall am thinking that my only hope is to find church records....The Power(s) family I am researching are all listed as Roman Catholic...any suggestions or assistance greatly appreciated...How can I find the Catholic Parishes that were in Norfolk County area ?

Casey Biggers (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 8:51PM GMT
Hi Jim - Gosh, I haven't done my genealogy in a long time so I'm a little rusty! I have a copy of the Old & New LaSallette Cemetary records at home. I'll look through it tonight for you. I did a search on the Ontario Cemetary Finding Aid, at http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/homepage.html but didn't come up with anything. Let me look through the stuff I have tonight and I'll let you know. I'll also see where I ordered the record from. For some reason I'm drawing a blank right now.

As for Catholic parishes at that time, I'll look into that also. It's time to pull out all my stuff again! Don't worry, if there is something there I'll do my best to find it for you. I'll post back tonight. Casey

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 9:09PM GMT
I found the site that I ordered the records from. Take a look at this site. They have everything you would need!
http://www.oxford.net/~mihaley/ogsnb/main.htm

Posted: 23 Oct 2002 1:23AM GMT
Well Jim, I tried. There are no Powers in the records that I have. I would follow the other link I sent you and try a different parish. Possibly the Dundas records as they are older and may be of more help. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Posted: 24 Oct 2002 3:36PM GMT
Thanks very much, I will check it out.

Posted: 24 Oct 2002 4:32PM GMT
Thanks for your time.

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Powers, Kiernan, Corcoran, McCarthy,
Hi James, I feel your pain...I found the family name of Powers in Emmette, Michigan. Big Irish settlement. My uncle, Francis Cogley's grandparents are Powers....also if you follow this family they will lead you to Ohio.
I'm looking for "McDonalds" families from LaSalette, my great-aunt, Mary Kiernan married Thomas McDonald. Mary's uncle is Rev Corcoran priest at the church in the late 1800's, Out Lady of LaSalette. The information I'm looking for a what year/ship that Mary & her brothers, cousin came to US or Canada. I located Mary & Patrick in Canada or Michigan around 1887 but can't find them before that. Also the land that Mary & Thomas McDonald once owned by Ed McCarthy...which happen to be Mary Kiernan McDonald future brother in law. How do I find land records from LaSalette in late 1800's or early 1900's?

Posted: 4 May 2013 12:57PM GMT
Hi Casey,

I have information about the Omstead family connection.

Omstead, Anna Alice (daughter of Moses and Alice (McCortney) Omstead), born at Windham Twp., Norfolk Co., Canada West on 14 Jun 1846, died on 28 Jun 1915. She married James Casey (son of Ryan and Mary (Smith) Casey; widower of Martina McDonald), born in Ireland on 25 Mar 1848, died in 1936. They were buried in LaSalette Cemetery, Windham Twp.

Omstead, Moses (son of Jonas and Hannah (Woodley) Omstead), born at Townsend Twp., Norfolk Co., Upper Canada c. 1804, died on 30 Sep 1894. He married on 22 Nov 1841, Alice McCortney, born in Ireland in Nov 1818, died on 29 Feb 1892 ae 73y 3m. Alice was buried in LaSalette Cemetery, Windham Twp.

Omstead/Olmstead, Jonas (son of Gideon and Elizabeth Omstead), born in the American Colonies on 24 Nov 1778,1 died at Townsend Twp., Norfolk Co., Upper Canada on 24 Nov 1819. He married Hannah Woodley (daughter of George and Christina (Wegers) Woodley), born in New Brunswick on 22 Mar 1786, died at Townsend Twp on 20 Jan 1847 ae 60y 10m. Hannah was buried in Boston Baptist Church Cemetery, Townsend Twp.

Omstead/Umstead, Gideon, born in the American Colonies est. 1760, died at Townsend Twp., Norfolk Co., Upper Canada in 1797. He married Elizabeth Cooley (daughter of Gideon and Elizabeth (Osborne) Cooley), born at Brimfield Twp., Greenwich Co., Massachusetts on 3 Nov 1761, died at Lyme Twp., Huron Co., Ohio in 1827.

Happy Hunting,

Robert Mutrie

http://sites.google.com/site/longpointsettlers
'
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions