Search for content in message boards

Whitts of VA and NC

Whitts of VA and NC

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whitt, Dawson
I'm looking for more information pertaining to my 3rd great grandfather, Wiley Whitt--more specifically, I want information on his father and mother.

Wiley was born in Virginia around 1829 and died before 1919 in Surry County, North Carolina. He was married to Nancy Ashburn in July 1851 in Surry County. The 1850 Surry County, NC Census has Wiley listed as being 21 and living with William (33) and Sally (25) Whitt and their children Anderson (6), James (4), and David (1). I assume that the William here is Wiley's brother who may be a William Jr. I think this because of a previous search, but I may be wrong. Wiley had another brother named Anderson Lindsay Whitt who was also listed as being in the Civil War along with Wiley.

I found (through an internet search) that his father's name could be William (born in VA) and his mother's name may have been Sarah (Sally/Sallie) Dawson (born in NC). Again, this is the part that makes me unsure. Other than that, I have nothing else.

Any help would be great!

Re: Whitts of VA and NC

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 8:08PM GMT
This may not be the definitive answer you sought but here are some thoughts and you can judge for yourself.

1 - I also think that Wiley Whitt who is living with William and Sally Whitt and family of the 1850 Surry Co., NC census have to be brothers. Note that Sally (Dawson) Whitt is Wiley's sister-in-law not his mother. William Whit and Sally Dawson were married 16 Sep 1840 in Randolph Co., NC (transcribed FamilySearch marriage record).
2 - Anderson Lindsay Whitt was the son of the above William and Sarah "Sally" (Dawson) Whitt. He is living with them in 1850/1860 and living nextdoor in 1870/1880. His 1934 Forsyth Co. death cert. says so as well. I'm not sure why anyone would think William and Wiley had a brother Anderson Lindsay, but you can find some "really good miss-information" on the internet. Verify, Verify, Verify!

Who were the parents of William and Wiley?

3 - Wiley Whitt always claims in the censuses to be born in North Carolina (not VA) ca 1829. So his father should be in the 1830/1840 NC census.
4 - Wiley named his 1st son John Emanuel and using your reasoning I suspected his father might be a John Whitt.
5 - The Sally (Dawson) Whitt above was likely (to me at least) the daughter of William Dawson of Randolph Co., NC. That may be why William and Sally named their 1st son William (after her father not his).
6 - There is a John Whit/Whitt in the 1830/1840 Randolph Co., NC censuses living near William Dawson. If fact, this is the only John Whitt in that general area of NC in that time period.

That is just too many coincidences for me.

There are a lot of John Whit/Whitt/White in 1820 Virginia but here is my best guess (and that is all it is for now) of who the above John Whitt was, and my reasoning.

7 - The John Whitt of 1830/1840 Randolph Co., NC may be the John Whitt who married Frances Barrow 25 Dec 1815 in Brunswick Co., VA. This couple is known to have moved to NC and ended up in Chatham Co.
8 - You can find this John and Francy Whitt in the 1850/1860 Chatham Co. censuses. Their additional children are: John (ca 1818 VA) Whitt who married Phoebe Johnson and went eventually to Hendricks Co., IN; Frances (ca 1830 NC) Whitt who married Jesse H Rogers and lived in Chatham Co. until their deaths; Cargill Calvin (ca 1832 NC) Whitt who married 3 times and lived his life out in Chatham Co.
9 - There is also a Robert Whitt in 1850 Chatham Co. who may be a sibling. He marries an Elizabeth Johnson (Phoebe's sister?) and they move to Surry Co., NC.

Additional "proof" of the above might be found in the wills or land sale records of John and Frances Whitt in Chatham Co., NC (if they exist). I have not attempted that.

If you are convinced of this reasoning, then I can give you the Whitt ancestry of John and Frances (Barrow) Whitt back to the immigrant John and Ann (Daux) Witt. I also have information on the children in #8/9 above as well as William and Wiley.

Lloyd

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 7:25PM GMT
Thank you so much for your help and for the clarification! Some of the information I ran across was from "Surry County Soldiers in the Civil War" edited by a Hester Bartlett Jackson, a partial piece of research that I found online. Upon further research that I did myself, I found some descrepancies. Lacking more clues, I had to put the Whitts on hold! My granddad did not have a lot of information on anyone past John Emanuel, but Granddad did know that Wiley was John E's father. I have more questions after I get the info you have given me sorted out. Thanks again!

Posted: 31 Dec 2013 7:39PM GMT
Surnames: whitt, johnson
I am writing in regards to #9 Robert Whitt in Chatham Co. Married to Elizabeth Johnson. I believe they had a son named Wesley Grant Whitt m. To Emma Jane Bullin with my great grandpa being their son General Lee Whitt m. To Susie Crissman. If you have any info of the parents of Robert or Elizabeth I would appreciate it.

Chivalry

Posted: 16 Jan 2014 12:03AM GMT
Chivalry,

Please consider this as very tentative. I am on snowbird vacation for a few months and don't have my home computer documentation with me. I created an Ancestry private family tree but the citations did not go through (Grr) so I am operating from memory.

As i recall the evidence for my identification of the Ancestry of Robert Whitt was based on the fact that there were no other Whitts in the Chatham Co. area and some of the family names matched. Not much to feel really confident about. A will or some land records are needed to confirm the relationship.

I suspect the parents of Robert Whitt are John Whitt and Frances/Francy Barrow. If this is correct then the ancestry back to the immigrant John Witt and Ann Daux goes:

The parents of this John Whitt would then be Shaderick/Shadrach Whitt and Wife Ciley/Celey. Shadrach was the son of Samuel Whitt and Anne Mealer. Samuel Whitt was the son of Edward Whitt and wife(s) Mary/Elizabeth. Edward Whitt was the son of John Witt and Ann Daux. The book by David Whitt documents this.

If you can find proof of this relationship, I hope you will share it.

Lloyd
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions