Search for content in message boards

Seeking Murray kin & information

Seeking Murray kin & information

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murray, Tupper, Ford
I have traced my line back to William & Joanna (Tupper) Murray in Milton, Queens Co., but have had no luck in finding any information regarding them. If anyone has any information they are willing to share, It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Seeking Murray kin & information

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 1:00AM GMT
There is quite a write up on the Murrays in The History of Liverpool Township by Francis Tupper, copy of same is avilable at Queens Museum.

Pg 82 William was a 1764 grantee of the Liverpool Township and was said to be part of the 1758 seige of Louisbourg. He was a widower with two daughters. Daughters stayed in Halifax. Lived in Liverpool and then settled in Lot 4 in Block C in The Falls. aka Wiliam Moray.

Pg 87 married Joanna Tupper in 1761

Extensive decendant list Pg 87-88

The NS Freeman History it does not indicated where he is from, likely New England. Joanna is fr Sandwich, MA.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 1:09AM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2012 1:11AM GMT
In Perkins diary Pg 40 it says William Murray is a native of Bridgewater, MA. Link below.

http://link.library.utoronto.ca/champlain/DigObj.cfm?Idno=9_...

Perkins says William died in 1805 a age 82, that would have him born in 1723.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 1:40AM GMT
He was more likely to have participated in the 1745 attack on Louisbourg as that had primarily colonial involvement. The 1858 attack was executed entirely by the British army.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 4:17AM GMT
I am like you, a descendant of William Murray and Joanna Tupper, and like you I have been able to find very little about William Murray. My descent is through Mary Murray who married James McLeod. Joanna Tupper however, is another story. She was the daughter of Nathan Tupper and Experience Gibbs and their ancestry is readily available. Nathan Tupper was also a grantee in Liverpool Township. If you can prove it, you are a Mayflower descendent as Experience Gibbs appears to be descended from Richard Warren. Nathan Tupper is descended from Thomas Tupper who emigrated from England in the 17th century. The Tuppers and the Gibbs settled In Sandwich, MA.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 4:31AM GMT
David I think that if you delve into the 1758 seige of Louisbourg you'll see that there were 4 companies of "American" Rangers, one of who was a relative mine.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 4:45AM GMT
I was tracing Woodbury's in Annapolis Co and came across an Austin W that married Susan Jane Murray daughter of William and Joanna. Somewhere at that time I came up with William's parents being John Murray and Ann Bennett. I will try and find my source data on that. The new Family Search has me pretty frustrated I like the old version much better.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 4:50AM GMT
Here is another link to John and Ann that ties William to them. They appear to be from Scotland?

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&d...

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 9:57PM GMT
I was thinking more about William Murray's age. In 1745, he would have been 22 and attacking Louisbourg would have been an adventure and he would be paid as well.
In 1758, he would have been 35 and given some other details, possibly a married man with children. Completely different circumstances.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 11:44PM GMT
I totally agree. But if you look at the land grants these soldiers were give,n they were in the 1759 1760 period, surely they wouldn't wait 14 years to give them?

My own relative was born in 1739 so he would have been too young for 1745. He was granted land in Liverpool Township.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions