Search for content in message boards

Orphanage in London City in 1871

Orphanage in London City in 1871

Susan O'Meara (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Would anyone know what the name of the orphanage in London was in 1871? My gr grandmother and her siblings were there for some time and are listed accordingly in the 1871 Census, but I do not know of the name of the location.

If it makes a difference, they were Catholic. What are my chances of finding if this place had kept any records?

Re: Orphanage in London City in 1871

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2004 6:51AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2009 11:42AM GMT
Susan:

The only Catholic orphanage that I am aware of in 1900 was the Mount St Joseph Orphanage. It was on Richmond Street North, adjacent to St Joseph's Hospital.

I remember that it was still standing in the 1960's but has since been demolished.

Tom

Susan O'Meara (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2004 4:48PM GMT
Tom,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I will look into Mount St. Joseph and see if the Catholic church would have any records on children there. I'm sure it's a long shot, but I certainly would love to know what became of my gr grandmothers two siblings that were left behind there when she was adopted.

Sincerely,
Sue O'Meara
Michigan

Paul Barton (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2004 9:16PM GMT
Are you aware of the Guthrie Home run by Mr Middlemore in Westminster, London? I'm not sure if it was open in 1871. It's mentioned in a letter from my ancestor in 1884.

Sue O'Meara (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2004 10:26PM GMT
I am not aware of that orphanage. However, Westminster is not in London but rather a town within Middlesex County. It's not far from the city of London, but it is not within it's city limits.

I know for a fact from the 1871 census that my relative was in the Catholic orphanage in London. I couldn't help you with the one in Westminster- sorry.

Posted: 8 Jul 2009 5:35AM GMT
The Guthrie Home was located on the south side of Commissioner's Road E, on a knoll above the London & Port Stanley Railway. It was just west of the railway tracks.
The two storey frame building was for many years a hotel. It became a receiving home for British home children who were sent to Canada. They remained their until they were picked up by their sponsors who signed contracts. The children were expected to work, and the sponsors to provided room and board and permit schooling, and to provide clothing "as good as" at the end of the contract year. I don't know that it was ever a orphanage, as such, or whether there were any religious restrictions placed on the children.

Posted: 5 Nov 2011 1:31PM GMT
To add to your description, Guthrie Home was in London, Ontario, Canada.
My husband's grandfather, Lancelot Walton, was brought there from Birmingham in 1887 at the age of 12.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions