Search for content in message boards

Bentleys c.1600/1700s

Bentleys c.1600/1700s

Posted: 6 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:47PM GMT
Surnames: Bentley, Beasley, Lewis
I'm descended from Thomas Bentley of N.C. around 1700, who possibly married Mary Beasley.His son Thomas,Jr. His grandson Daniel married Nancy Lewis.The family lore is that there were 4 brothers who left England because they refused to grow beards.I know of Bentleys in RI,Va,etc,but have no connections.Does anyone know of any possible brothers or trace to England?

Bentley Family

Janet Bentley (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bentley, Lewis, Hammon, Justice
My husband was decended from this line of Bentleys, now living in Kentucky. I don't recall any story of four brothers.

Bentley

Brian (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bentley
The way my grandmother told me, Thomas (or maybe Daniel) was caught shaving on a Sunday (which was illegal), and deported to the colonies.

bentleys of s.e. ky.

Posted: 3 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2002 12:47AM GMT
Surnames: bentley
I am a decendent of this family, my grand father was morgan, his father was solomon bentley, his wife was Jane Bentley, the father of solomon was daniel eventually going back several generations ( several daniel and thomas) the father of thomas(who was born is england) was John bentley, I can tell you they came to ky. through n.c. because one of them married a native american indian.I hope these names can help you.
Everyone assumes that every one in this area sprang from one Bentley, but i am yet to find the connection, My grandfather is a decendent of John and thomas, and we have a Daniel Bentley (I haven't made a connection to this man in our ancestors) buried near here that was expelled from England for shaving on Sunday, I suspect he was sent from England as an endentured slave that ecaped and ran to these mountains, thats why the blacks were brought in to work the cotton and tobacco, they couldn't keep white europeans, they ran away.
Once again I hope this helps some.
sincerely, wilma
Posted: 6 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:47PM GMT
If I read your message right,we are of the same family (very distantly) Do you belong to the bentley of Ky website? Anyway,in my family line, Daniel and Solomon were sons of Thomas Jr. and Hannah.All of them were born in N.C. The granfather was Thomas Sr. who was married to Mary Beasley.How do you know his father was named John?Where did he come from?Most folks aren't sure if Thomas Sr. was born in England or in America.Who was the Indian?How do you know this? I saw one reference to one of the Thomas' wives as being an Indian,but it was not proven.Do you know her name?It sounds as though you have some more detail about the "ancient" history of the family,and I would love to share that with you.Several family members have reported the myth that there originally were 4 bentley brothers who came to America due to various stories about their beards,This was probably related to a religious thing,and they came here to escape religious persecution - were they Anabaptists??

Re: Samantha

Brian Huggard (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Yep, it's the same family. Boyd and the children moved to Arizona in the 1930s, first to Superior, where Boyd worked in the copper mines, then later to Phoenix. We're all still in Phoenix, and I see Hazel and Bernice (my grandmother) every month or so. They're not much help on geneological matters, though, since their mother died young (TB) and they've lived most of their lives in Arizona, separated from the rest of the family. Boyd died in Phoenix in 1967, and as far as I know, was buried in Neon, like you said. And I know what you mean about that Indian heritage being evident, my grandmother's hair is still mostly black (at 72) and me, though I'm a natural blonde, I have a few strands that are like thick black wires.
Hi, I had to do talk to some family members to get the info you requested. Yes, my grandfather had a sister named Samatha, she married Boyd Vanover and they had several childern, Morgan, Hazel, Berniese, Eugene (youngest child).
I don't know if this is the same family, but they moved to Phoneix. after Samatha passed away. This Samatha and her husband is buried here in Neon, Ky. in a small cemetery, right in town and is being taken care of by some one.
If this is a family link to you I can explain the native american link. Solomon was married to Jane Bentley, Solomons Father was Daniel Bentley, he married Marinda Ramey Whose father was mosie Ramey, His wife was Tobitha "Martha" , She was the native American Indian. She had no last name and her name was changed to a good old European Martha.
My grandfather's hair was blue black when he was a young man, and as he aged his native american hertiage was evident.
You can email me any time. Willie41840@yahoo.com

re: bentleys of s. e. kentucky

Brian Huggard (View posts)
Would your grandfather Morgan happen to have a sister named Samantha (1893-1937)? She's my great-grandmother, and supposedly had a good deal of Cherokee in her, though no one can say for sure who the Cherokee ancestor was...

daniel bentley

We are of the same ancestry. My grand father was Morgan bentley, his father was Solomon, his father was daniel, whose father was Lewis Bentley.
Go to ancestry world tree search and search solomon bentley there are 33 entries for solomon, the one you want is on page 4 and is the first entrie. and thats my link from solomon.
the native american in my family was Marinda Rameys Mother Tobitha "Martha" she was married to Moses Ramey.This was my grandfather's greatgrandmother, when he was a young man his hair was very black, and in his later years his native american hertiage was extremely evident. He spoke often of her.
Posted: 8 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: bentleys
I have a request is there any way you could send me a picture of your grandmother (samatha) if you have any a copy would be great, I'm doing this for my childern and I hope to get as much info and pictures for a geneological history, hopefully I can get it assembled in some kind of order. This has turned into a bigger project than I imagined.
I have two differnt Bentley branches, (one Daniel, the other is John), two different Stewart branches , my dads mother was a stewart, her ancestor was Dr. John Stewart and he was in N.Y., from Scotland, in 1687, I married a stewart
and that branch the individual hailed from Ireland, his name was Robert Stewart, arrived in time to fight the English, over 100 years after John stewart.
My mother was a Bentley and married a Bentley, and I am having a hard time finding anything on Dad's family, I'm beginning to think that I might have three different Bentley branches, no connection to John or Daniel, but it could be that a relative was omited somewhere along the way. WA Bentley

per page

Find a board about a specific topic