Search for content in message boards

reader

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: reader
looking for Lawrence and Merle Dolbert Reader born on 4-6-1918 and14-6-1922 in iowa mother named Ethel father Fred fred was born in u.k.had a sister clled Edith .If anyone can help i'd like to know if i still have family in u.s.

Re: Reader - 1925 Iowa State Census

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 11:13PM GMT
Surnames: Reader
1925 Iowa State Census, Fort Madison, Lee County, IA
Reader, Fred T, head, 30, owned home w/o mortgage, 6th grade education, b. Eng, son of Thomas Reader, 58, b. England, and Anna Milleen, 56, b. England who were married in England,
Ethel, wife, 27, 8th grade education, b. WI, dau of Ed Workman, 57, b. IL and Lizzie Shaw, 45, b. VT who were married in IL
Fred L, son, 7, 1st grade education, b. IA, parents married in IA
Delbert M, son, 2, b. IA, parents married in IA

WWI draft registration June 5, 1917, Fort Madison, Lee Iowa
Frederick T Reader, b. March 10, 1894, b. Marden, Kent, England, RR worker, single, tall, medium build, grey eyes, brown hair

Passport application June 26, 1923
Frederick Thomas Reader, b. March 10, 1894, Marden, Kent, England, his father Thomas Reader was born in England and lives there, Emigrated to US Dec 18, 1916, sailing from Halifax, Nova Scotia, has lived in Fort Madison, IA from 1916 through 1923. Was married June 6, 1917, Naturalized at Fort Madison, Lee County, IA on May 23, 1923, Lived in Kent, England 1894-1911, and Nova Scotia 1911-1916, is employed as a drayman in Fort Madison, planning to travel to Kent, England, with sons, Lawrence, 5, and Merl 1 for 3 months to visit his parents, sailing on the Olympic on June 30, 1923 from New York.

Social Security Death Record,
Frederick Reader, b. Mar 10, 1894, died Aug 1965 in Iowa

Although Ethel was not listed on the passport application, she must have travelled with them, as she returned with the family; as they left on the ship Majestic from Southhampton, England on Aug 22, 1923, and arrived in New York on Aug 28, 1923.

In 1930, both Lawrence and Merl were wards in the Nachusa Lutheran Orphanage in Lee County, IA

Possibly they were adopted out of the orphanage and took on new surnames. Pretty tough to get adoption records in Iowa, but maybe someone will recognize some of this info. Try posting in Lee County, Iowa

Fred Sr, made a trip back to Fort Madison, from Southampton in Nov 1952.

Re: Reader - 1925 Iowa State Census

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 3:14PM GMT
thank you so much for the info on my grans brother and family i shall see if anyone can help with adoption.

FOUND: Delbert Merle READER spouses, children, mother, obituary

Posted: 7 Aug 2008 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Reader, Lovelock, Workman, Smith
The ship manifest 1923 > August > 28 > Majestic gives specific birth dates for Lawrence and Delbert M:

Lawrence, born Ft Madison 14 Jun 1918
Delbert M born Fort Madison 20 Jun 1922

This information may be helpful in identifying Frederick Lawrence Reader or Delbert Merle Reader.

Note that the SSDI information provided for Frederick READER does not necessarily mean that he DIED in Iowa--only that Iowa was the last residence on file with the Social Security Administration.

I wonder whether you've already researched Ethel WORKMAN Reader to see what happened to her after 1923.

In 1900 Ethel WORKMAN was enumerated with her parents and brother Edgar Jr. (1900 United States Federal Census > Wisconsin > Milwaukee > Milwaukee Ward 5 > District 35).

In 1910 Ethel's family had moved to IA, Lee Co., Fort Madison, and the children were Ethel 13, Edgar 10, Wesley 7, [Thelma?] 3, and Minnie 7 months..

In 1920 the family is still in Fort Madison, and one more child--Mildred A, age 7--has joined the family.

In 1930, Edgar G (Sr.) and Libbie are still in Fort Madison, and daughter Shirley G., age 8, is enumerated with them, along with divorced daughter ETHEL LOVELOCK (age 33 born WI) and her daughter Ethel A. Lovelock (age 3 born IL), and married daughter Mildred Wise (age 17).

Searching on the name Ethel Lovelock:

Southtown Economist | Chicago, Illinois | Sunday, December 30, 1945 | Page 6
Twin Nuptial Held in Home

Mr. and Mrs. A. C. LOVELOCK, 5246 Union ave., had a double wedding ceremony in their home Christmas eve when their daughter, Ethel A. LOVELOCK, became the bride of Samuel E. SMITH, son of Fred SMITH of Burlington, Ia., and their son, Delbert M. READER, and Helen L. JOHNSON, were married. Her parents are Mr. and Mrs. Olie JOHNSON, 5237 Union ave.

The couples served each other as attendants for the double ring services performed by the Rev. Emil C. Bergquist, pastor of Bethel Lutheran church. Both brides were attired in aqua wool crepe dresses with black accessories and wore corsages of roses. The new Mrs. SMITH wore a locket for something old while her sister-in-law chose a bracelet.
After the nuptials more than 50 guests were enteratined in a reception in the Lovelock home.

Mr. SMITH served four years in the navy. He was a cook and had two and a half years overseas duty. Mr. READER, a former marine corporal, was overseas three of the three and a half years he was in service and he was awarded the presidential citation and four combat stars. He attended Englewood high school where his bride was graduated.

Then I found this:

Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Illinois, 19 Oct 1964
Merle READER of Grandwood Park, Gurnee, Ill., beloved husband of Dorothea Marie, nee Kay; father of Fred M. READER and Patricia; son of Fred T. READER and Ethel C. LOVELOCK; grandson of Libbie WORKMAN of Fort Madison, Ia.; brother of Arthur LOVELOCK, Ethel L. SMITH and the late Lawrence READER. At Lain & Son Chapel, 5501 N. Ashland avenue, where services will be held Wednesday, Oct. 21, at 2 p.m. Interment Acacia Park. Member of Local No. 225 B of R.T. and Lake Villa post, V.F.W.

Cook County, Illinois, Vital Records Index
READER, DELBERT MERLE Death File #673619 10/17/1964
READER, DOROTHY Death File #605243 2/21/1974 (possible match for Delbert's second wife)
READER, FRED Birth 6001105 1/14/1933
READER, FREDERICK J Death 40377 6/5/1957
READER, FREDERICK M Death 23817 4/20/1978
READER, HELEN L. Marriage 2428121 1/5/1957 (probable match for Delbert's first wife [married in 1945])

LOVELOCK, ARTHUR C. Marriage #1302047 1/17/1931
LOVELOCK, ETHEL J. Marriage 1302047 1/17/1931
(It appears that Ethel and Arthur married, divorced before 1930, then remarried.)

LOVELOCK, ETHEL Birth 6012474 3/20/1927

Ethel WORKMAN Reader Lovelock and Arthur Charles LOVELOCK

Posted: 7 Aug 2008 6:51PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Workman, Reader, Lovelock, Stillwell
I see that Arthur and Victoria LOVELOCK sailed to Southhampton in August 1923 aboard the Majestic--the same ship on which Frederick READER and Etheln WORKMAN Reader and their sons were sailing. I wonder whether this might be how Arthur and Ethel met.

At ancestry.com the following text has been submitted by a user:
"Arthur Lovelock first married Victoria Stillwell then divorced her and married Ethel Workman.After divorcing Ethel , Arthur remarried Victoria. After Victoria died, Arthur then again remarried Ethel."

Here is a resource in which you might be interested:
WEDS FOURTH TIME; HAS HAD ONLY 2 BRIDES
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963); Jan 18, 1931; pg. 11;

Re: FOUND: Delbert Merle READER spouses, children, mother, obituary

Posted: 9 Aug 2008 10:25AM GMT
thank you so much for all your hard work on my family i feel i'm really getting some where now .next i shall try to find any living relatives
per page

Find a board about a specific topic