Search for content in message boards

File won't compress

File won't compress

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 3:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a file from FTM version 2006. This won't open in FTM 2005 or FTM 2012. In 2012, it tells me to compress the file because it's too big. I can't compress it in 2005 because it doesn't take the version of file I'm using and tells me to come back to Ancestry for a newer version of FTM (but clearly, not the 2012 version because it won't read it, it's too big). I swear I've tried everything, but nothing has worked. I just want the file to compress somehow, but I can't figure it out!

Re: File won't compress

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 4:28PM GMT
What is the size of this file when listed in "My Computer" (Windows Explorer)?

Also what are the spec's of your machine, OS and version, disk size and how much is free, and amount of RAM?

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 5:01PM GMT
File is 29,631 KB.

I run Windows 7 Professional.

4.00 GB RAM, 3.24 usable, 32 bit.

C drive, 801 GB free of 931 GB.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 6:17PM GMT
When you say 2006, do you really mean FTM version 16? There is a big difference between FTM version 16 and the current versions 20XX

If it is FTM version 16 try importing it into the the 200x version.

In 2012 you would go to new tree from the Plan. Then from the File menu you would select Import as New Tree, then find the directory where the old file existed.

Since you have worked with your file some, I hope you have been doing it on a back up because you may have corrupted it in trying to open it.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 6:32PM GMT
I got the backup on a CD-R. It says on here FTM ver. 2006, and it was created 1-30-06. I was able to get it from the .fbc on the CD to a .ftw on my system, but when I try to import it into 2012, it tells me it's too big and needs compressed. Therein lies my problem.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 6:35PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2012 6:37PM GMT
Have you tried to import the FBC directly?

I beleive that if it was created on that date it probably is a FTM Version 16 file. UNLESS the computer date was off.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 6:39PM GMT
I know nothing about it but have been told there is a free Starter Edition that can be used with old file. Maybe some one will jump in with more information on it of you may try to google it.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 6:42PM GMT
Sadly, that isn't one of the file extensions that 2012 will accept (the .fbc). If I try it from the .ftw instead, it says "Please compact the file by choosing "Compact File" from the "Tools" menu in the Family Tree Maker version where the file was last used and try importing again."

When I try that in 2005, it tells me it's too new a version for Family Tree Maker 2005 starter edition and can't be loaded. To upgrade, visit www.genealogy.com.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 7:02PM GMT
Have you checked with your local library to see if they have Version 16 on one of their computers?

In my exerience 29000kb is a little large to email

Who ever sent you the disk with the file, do they still have the old version?

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 7:28PM GMT
coolbran,

FTM2012 will NOT open a FBC file. It will only open an FTW file. So, your normal FTM2006 file will open with FTM2012.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions