Search for content in message boards

Mary Elizabeth/Lizzie Donahue/Donahoe

Mary Elizabeth/Lizzie Donahue/Donahoe

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 4:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jan 2010 6:42AM GMT
Surnames: Donahue, Donahoe, Kelly
I am searching for Mary Elizabeth Donahue (Donahoe). Since I do not have any marriage information, the search for her has been long and difficult.

Family lore states that Lizzie "moved to Nebraska." It is known that she was alive in 1896 by reference in an old family letter. Unfortunately, the letter did not mention where she was living. Other than that one mention, nothing has been found regarding her wherabouts.

Mary Elizabeth was called Lizzie by her siblings. She was born in Cherry Township, Sullivan County, Pennsylvania about 1859. She remained there with her family through the time of the 1870 census (11 yrs. old). In 1874-75 her family moved to Luzerne County, Pennsylvania near Pittston. In 1880, Lizzie was not with the family in Pittston.

Her parents were Michael (1824-1895) and Mary Ann Kelly (1832-1899) Donahue. Michael was born in Ireland and Mary Ann was born in Buffalo, NY. Her siblings were Thomas, Margaret, Catherine, James P., Anna, John, Teresa, Joseph M. and Esther Genevieve (called Jennie).

Any clue would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Mary Elizabeth/Lizzie Donahue/Donahoe

Posted: 12 Feb 2010 5:06PM GMT
Surnames: Donahue, Blecher, Nash
ancestor611,

Faced with a research problem such as yours, one of my first approaches would be to gather obits and will/probate information for both parents, and obits for as many of the siblings as possible. One or more of these items may mention Mary Elizabeth under her married name.

In the meantime, I searched the 1880 US Census for a Lizz* born in PA 1858-1860 and living in NE in 1880. The results included only two married women. These are just remote possibilities and I recommend the obit search outlined above as the more dependable alternative; however, I'm including the data here in case you wish to pursue either of these matches:

Name: Lizzie Blecher
Home in 1880: Walker, Platte, Nebraska
Estimated birth year: abt 1859
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of Household: Wife
Spouse's name: Clark [also born in PA, per census image]
Father's birthplace: Pennsylvania
Mother's birthplace: Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Clark Blecher 26
Lizzie Blecher 21
Andrew Anderson 39

Name: Lizzie Nash
Home in 1880: Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of Household: Wife
Spouse's name: Horace [born in KY per census image]
Father's birthplace: Pennsylvania
Mother's birthplace: Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Horace Nash 26
Lizzie Nash 22

Posted: 12 Feb 2010 7:06PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2010 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: Donahue, Donahoe, O'Neill, Cook, Pollard
Metaphor,

Thank you very much for your response to my request for information about Lizzie DonahueDonahoe. The 1880 Census info regarding Lizzie Blecher has peaked my interest. There were several families from Bradford County in Northeastern Pennsylvania who had members relocate to Eastern Nebraska. I have traced as many of them as I could find hoping to find some reference to Lizzie but to no avail. I have not seen the 1880 census entry that you sent so I have a new lead.

First cousins of Lizzie (children of her mother's sister Margaret Kelly O'Neill) who moved to Nebraska:
Thomas and and his wife Mary Pollard O'Neill and 12 children (first child born in NE Jan 1881); Colfax then Garfield then Greeley County
Mary Ann O'Neill Cook and her husband John and 6 children (first child born in NE March 1894); Wheeler County then Greeley County
I have located both of these families on the 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1920 census records hoping to find Lizzie nearby but no luck. Thomas and Mary Ann's father, Nicholas O'Neill, was born in Ireland. I would not be surprised if they were connected to the O'Neill group that settled in Nebraska during the 1870's.

I have obituaries for her mother, and three of her siblings. So far none has mentioned Lizzie. Her mother's obituary in 1899 also did not mention another of her daughters who was listed later in another family obituary so I can't just assume that Lizzie was dead at the time. Our local newspapers were very lax in reporting during the early 1900's. It seems that if the informant did not know where a survivor was, they just didn't list them. The most complete reference was on a brother who died in 1910 and Lizzie was not listed at that time. I am still searching for some other siblings obituaries (3 down/6 to go).

I will research the two marriage possibilities you brought to my attention. Again, thank you for your time and attention. I really appreciate it.

Claire Moran

Posted: 12 Feb 2010 7:30PM GMT
Claire, if any of the obits you've already gathered indicate a church affiliation for the family of origin, you might contact that church and inquire about 19th century marriage records. It seems more than likely that Lizzie married in PA before migrating to Nebraska.

Posted: 12 Feb 2010 9:18PM GMT
I think you are right. I found a Clark Blecher located in Northunberland county which is just a little south of where Lizzie was born and grew up in Sullivan County. A local group is trying hard to get the Catholic Church in Dushore, Sullivan County, to open up its records for marriages and we have been promised some access after Easter so here's hoping I will find something. Lizzie's sister, Catherine was my great grandmother and I have a copy of her baptismal certificate so I know that is the church.

I am very grateful for all your help. I have been looking for Lizzie for many years. My aunt looked for her in the 1970's and was unsuccessful then. She didn't have many records to access but had a lot more people to talk to. She gave up after a long search. Maybe this is it!

I will post a reply to this message when I find something.
Claire Moran

Posted: 14 Dec 2010 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: Blecher
Elizabeth Blecher, married to Clark H Blecher. The couple had four children - John Faust (1885-1956), Maggie (1886-), Clarence A (1894-1975) and Guy Eugene (1895-1958). Elizabeth was born 15 Jul 1858, died 1 Nov 1916 and is buried in Hope Cemetery in Platte county, Nebraska according to Findagrave.com.

Posted: 15 Dec 2010 12:21AM GMT
Surnames: Donahue, Donahoe, Blecher
Thank you very much for this information. The Blecher lead is the best one I have had in years and this detail provides an great opportunity to tie the family into mine. I really appreciate your sending me the data.
Claire

Posted: 13 Feb 2011 11:46PM GMT
I had great hopes for the Blecher lead as being my elusive Mary Elizabeth Donahue but it was not to be. I found Clark Blecher origins near where Lizzie lived before moving west and thought it might be possible, so much so that I requested a death certificate for her. She is not the one I was looking for. Her maiden name was Faust. I just wanted to thank all who helped me in this search.
Claire
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions