Search for content in message boards

Public member trees

Public member trees

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 8:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just discovered this under the settings of my tree:

"Public Tree (Currently selected)
This setting will allow others to see your tree as a Public Member Tree and allows your tree information to be compiled into OneWorldTree.

What does this mean?

By allowing others to see your tree in the Public Member Trees section of Ancestry, you help them discover missing links in their own family trees. Site visitors do not need to be paying subscribers in order to see Public Member Trees on Ancestry."

doesnt this mean they are currently breaking their own rules, I think any profits they have made to date on this should be given to owners of the trees.

Lolly

Re: Public member trees

Posted: 16 Jul 2007 2:25AM GMT
"Site visitors do not need to be paying subscribers in order to see Public Member Trees on Ancestry."

That is simply not true. Only Ancestry subscribers can see your "tree". Others can see an individual's basic data, incomplete, and must use Ancestry's "contact" to reach you.

"This setting will allow others to see your tree as a Public Member Tree"

Insert "Ancestry subscribers" in place of 'others".

Breaking their own rules? What rule would that be?

Posted: 16 Jul 2007 9:41AM GMT
that you have to be a subscriber to access public member trees now, or am i reading it wrong?

Posted: 16 Jul 2007 6:36PM GMT
You have it right. Non-subscribers cannot see your "tree". This is fairly new; a week or so.
Actually, a non-subscriber can see more of a "private" than "Public" tree. The "private" shows me an individual and his parents; "public" shows one individual. I cannot see the entire tree of either one.
If you want the most exposure to the rest of the genealogical world, get your own software, make your own gedcom and post it at Rootsweb and Gencircles.
Both those sites are free. Everyone can see your tree and have a method of leaving you notes and information.

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 2:21AM GMT
I certainly second this. Use your own genealogy software, create your own files, post to rootsweb and/or gencircles.

Gencircles still remains free to post and view files. There is a charge to use their smart matching-I think about $30.00 per year. Smart matching is an excellent way to find matches with your own files. It works similarly to OneWorldTree but does not mix nor confuse the various files as OneWorldTree appears to do. Actually, OneWorldTree does not really do this because you will get the separate trees when you click on the various files but the way it is presented may lead some to think that it mixes the trees.

The drawback as others said is that a gedcom does not carry the photos you have collected with the program.

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: McKenzie McCuaig Oltmann Johnsrud
This database contains family trees submitted to Ancestry by users who have indicated that their tree can be viewed by all Ancestry members.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions