Search for content in message boards

Bug that causes the program to close

Bug that causes the program to close

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 1:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone else replicate this bug or has it been reported before? In the People menu item and on the Person tab there are facts and personal information on the left and details about particular facts (info field, sources, media, etc.) on the right. Choose a fact then click in on the info field. For example, choose name then click on the name info field. Delete a character or two but DO NOT PRESS ENTER or TAB. Next click on one of the sources. For me the program closes. This does not happen if I press Enter or Tab after changing the info field.
I've reported it to Ancestry and I'd like to know if it's just my installation or a general bug.
I have to discipline myself not to click the sources right away. Nothing seems harmed in my file. It's kind of like the out of RAM problem that used to crop up.
I'm running an up to date FTM 2012 on a Windows 7 machine with 4 GB of RAM. I don't have the out of RAM crashing problem since the second last up date.

Re: Bug that causes the program to close

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 1:33AM GMT
Hmmm - Hadnt seen that one before. But its not your install. I duplicated it with the latest version on xp 32bit.

The program abruptly closes and the microsoft "Family Tree Maker has encountered a problem... do you want to send an error report ..." dialog pops up

Relaunching FTM gives the FTM was not closed properly, please compact... message. The change was saved however.

Time to send in another bug report.

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 1:40AM GMT
Edited: 24 Dec 2012 1:45AM GMT
Well, how precious. Does that to me too.

Definitely a bug.

Reported.

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 2:39AM GMT
Thanks. Glad to see it wasn't just my copy but sad to see yet another bug.

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 3:34AM GMT
An additional thing is it seems to remove the reference to the last online sync in the sync dialogue box. Mine says 01 Jan 0001, 12:00 AM. It has the correct Last Sync date and desktop sync date. I can't tell if this affected the actual sync.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 4:51PM GMT
Hi guys - have the exact same problem.
Keeps stating that a sync is equired even after I just "synced"

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 5:08PM GMT
Seems like you might have replied under the wrong post.

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 2:01PM GMT
I have been periodically having this problem. I upgraded about a year ago from Version 16 to 2012. I have been cleaning up my sources and places. I had a lot of locations with slightly different names. I have been combine them into one and making any corrections to the fact in each of the people in the tree as needed.

Periodically FTM will disappear with no messages. I thought that it was a memory problem but increased the memory form 1gb to 1.5 gb, and it did it again last night. Last night it seemed the the program was still loaded even though it did not show in the task Manager.

Windows XP SP3 dual processor 1.3mh. *.ftm file = 13.3mb

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 2:12PM GMT
What you have experienced is, I believe, a re-occurence of the out of memory problem. It has been reported many times on this board. It was much worse two updates ago but still happens from time to time. If you monitor your RAM usage (using for example Task Manager) you can see the RAM use increase until there is none left then the program crashes. I still get this from time to time but no where near the frequency of two updates ago.

What I described was a specific sequence of steps that cause the program to terminate. It does not involve unusually high memory use and always happens with the same sequence of steps. Just an unusual bug that I've learned to keep away from. In other words when I edit something I always press Tab or Enter to finish the edit.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic