Search for content in message boards

Freida C Eike from Norway - looking for her ancestry

Freida C Eike from Norway - looking for her ancestry

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 10:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Eike
Freida C Eike is my great-grandmother.
She was born 1884 in Norway.
She arrived to the United States in 1906 (she was 22 years old)
She married my great-grandfather Joseph Morand Cornelius (1854 – 1926)and lived out her days in Spokane, Washington.
I found her on the Census but I would like to know more about where she came from, and how long she lived.
Thank you!
Jay Cornelius

Re: Freida C Eike from Norway - looking for her ancestry

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 11:48PM GMT
You found her on what census? Where?

I can't find Joseph Cornelius on a US census in Washington - perhaps more info could help with that?

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 12:09AM GMT
Hi, hopefully this link from her in my tree works:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/23025362/person/1385885301/fa...
If that doesn't open for you, she appears on the 1920 census under the incorrect name spelling of "Freda E Cornelious"
the 1930 census under the name "Freida C Cornelius"

Posted: 7 Apr 2014 2:56AM GMT
Try Cornelious, try Joe M Cornelius in Washington Marriages. They hit the 1910, 1920 and marriage is found under Joe Cornelius, not Joseph. Hope this helps, sincerely, Cousin Larry's wife.

Posted: 7 Apr 2014 4:05PM GMT
She immigrated to the states in 1903 under the name Petra J Eike. She left Norway from the city/port of Stavanger and arrived through Ellis Island. (The J stands for Jakobsdatter - her traditional patronymic name)

She was from Fister parish, Hjelmeland, Rogaland, Norway. She is no longer living with her parents and a number of younger siblings in the 1900 Norwegian census (she is working in a nearby district called Finnøy) -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&...

Some years after Mr. Cornelius died she remarried and listed her parents -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F3QC-RDX

She died 30 Nov 1965 in Montana -
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17...

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 4:29PM GMT
The obituary for 'Freida' (under her 2nd married name of course) is found in The Daily Inter Lake newspaper of Kalispell, Montana - 1 Dec 1965. That obituary lists a specific date of her birth which also EXACTLY matches the original birth/baptism record for Petra Jakobsdatter of Eike farm in Fister parish, Hjelmeland, Rogaland, Norway.

She is mentioned one year after her immigration to the US in the Helena Montana city directory of 1904 as Petra Eike -- I have found no other time in records after her immigration where she uses the name Petra but between 1904 and her first marriage in 1907 she decides to call herself Freida.

Posted: 11 Apr 2014 5:46PM GMT
Thank You so much, this is all such great information and very appreciated. Polly

Posted: 12 Apr 2014 12:00AM GMT
Thank You Jay for your response. Sadly, without a current membership, ancestry doesn't let me view your public trees. I see just enough of a hint, but not inside the actual tree. If you were willing I would love to have you let me share your tree. Do you know about that feature? It is easy and only lets me view it, not make changes. I have done it with several contacts and it is great because we can each get info from each other. I haven't found a down side to it. It is a function they allow that is sent by email. Did I tell you I am assuming that I am the wife of one of your fathers cousins from Washington State. I don't think my husband has kept in touch with anyone other than one cousin raised in Spokane. Freida was my husband's direct grandmother. We visited her old cherry orchard last year in Montana and the gentleman who now runs it actually bought it from her years ago and was thrilled to meet us, said it made his day! Thanks Again, Polly P.S. Check your message boards again, just got great new info from person on there. Freida's name was really Petra back in Norway etc!!!! Maybe you already found this out. Lots of info on where she was from in Norway, will get it to you if you need. pollycornelius@yahoo.com

Posted: 12 Apr 2014 12:09AM GMT
Cornelious on one census in Spokane. Sorry I don't have a membership so hard to click and save, I am just typing free hand what I find onto my once free trial membership tree I had started. I didn't start looking for my husbands family until I no longer had access, so have not done much with it. I often use the free familysearch.org site and then type those found items manually onto the names in my ancestry.com tree, lol. Backwards I know. Sometimes Joe Cornilis.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic