Search for content in message boards

PEARCE/PIERCE

PEARCE/PIERCE

Edie Higginbotham (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 1900 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Apr 2004 2:56PM GMT
Surnames: Pearce, Perkins, Riggan

I am looking for William PEARCE I and William PEARCE II. William PEARCE I was a Revolutionary War Vet & died in Anson county in 1808. He married a Sara Mary ?? and had 4 children: William, Eliabeth, Mary, Aron. William PEARCE II was born in 1788 in NC, married a Patti PERKINS and had one son that I know of John born on 15 June 1809 in NC. I do not know all these facts to be exact. Some came from census & some from other sources. My gggfather was born after this family migrated to TN. He was Aaron PEARCE, born in 1815 I believe to William II. He married a Martha Jane RIGGAN on 11 Feb. 1838 after the family migrated to Monroe county MS. His daughter Elizabeth Jane PEARCE was my GGrandmother. I would appreciate any information on any of this family. Thanks, Edie

PEARCE/PIERCE

Jo Anne Pandolfi (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2004 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: PEARCE, PIERCE, WRIGHT
I have a Pearce/pierce line that ended up in Henderson Co. TN. Some of your names are familiar.
My Hiram PEARCE brn. abt.1808 married Pheby Wright before 1835. Hiram is from NC and many of the family surnames in Henderson Co. are from Anson Co. NC. I have a hunch that Hiram`s mother may have been Elizabeth PIERCE, and he may have had a brother named Henry. There is an Elizabeth PEARCE in Henderson Co. TN on the 1860 census, a widow age 62.
Hiram has 4 sons and 4 daughters with Pheby, all brn. Henderson Co. TN. Sons were: John,William,Aaron and Joseph.
Daughters were: Mima(Jemima),Jane,Sarah and Pheby. I have not been able to find anything on Hiram Pearce`s parents.

my family

Kathy Pearce Prestridge (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: PEARCE
My grandfather was Cecil G. Pearce who lived in MS Sunflower, his father was Andrew Jackson Pearce. I know there is a NC connection and Alabama, but that is all I know

Pearce/Pierce

Edie Higginbotham (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2004 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: Pearce, Pierce, Palmer, Harrison
. My Aaron Pearce/Pierce was born about 1815 in TN but
I do not know what Co. or township. My Aaron has
children with the names Elizabeth, Jane, John, Joseph. I believe that Aaron's fater was William Pearce born in N.C. in 1786. This could have been Anson County, but I don't know that. He could have been a brother to John as I believe William's father may have been John. Also I know of a Joseph Pearce born 1814 in N.C who had a son named Benjamin. I think he could have been brother to Aaron & son of William, gson of John. This is all guesswork as I
have not found anything to tie them together except for the fact they were all in Monroe Co at the same time & the use of the same names.
I have heard about a Hollett Pierce b about 1778-80 who could be the father of Aaron or Hiram. Hollet was in Monroe Co. at same time. Also in Monroe Co at same
time was a James Pierce b 1812 & Mar. Elz Palmer----William Pierce b. abt 1815 & mar. Margaret, & George Pierce b. abt. 1819 & mar. Alpha Amanda Harrison. There was also a Deliah Pierce/Pearce b.abt 1785. I have no information about a Cecil G. Pearce unless the G is for George.

Most of these Pearce/Pierce familes settled in Pearce Chapel Community. They came from NC, Georgia, and TN. I do not think this line of Pearce/Pierces stayed in TN very long. I think they moved because of the war of 1812 from NC through TN to Monroe Co Miss where they settled. Aaron
was very well off with a large plantation. I think his grandfather could have been William Pearce a Rev. War vet who died & was buried in Anson Co. in 1808.

Re: PEARCE/PIERCE

THELMA PIERCE/PEARCE/TORMOEHLEN/GONZALEZ (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2003 7:13PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2003 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: Higginbotham, Pearce, Pierce
Dear Edie,
I just found your inquiry at Ancestors.com and thought I would write. First of all, your last name intrigued me, seeing that I have Higginbotham's in my PEARCE/PIERCE family lineage. And have photos of the Higginbotham family. I know that my ggrandfather William C. PEARCE/PIERCE was married many times, just not sure how many or how many siblings he had.
It would be nice to hear from you, and if I can help in any way, I would be glad to share what I have with you.
Please email me at the above email address
Sincerely,
Thelma PIERCE/TORMOEHLEN/GONZALEZ

Posted: 17 Mar 2005 7:19AM GMT
Surnames: PEARCE, HALSTEAD, HOLSTEAD, PRESTON
I am looking for an Elizabeth Pearce who was born in 1772 in NC, married Reuben Halstead (Holstead?) in about 1804, and died in Riley, Vigo Co., IN in 1845. She may have been married previously to a last name Preston. Before moving to IN she was in OH, where she gave birth to Rebecca Ann Halstead, b. 11 May 1810 or 1808 in Butler Co., OH.

Does any of this suggest a match?

Heidi

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 4:11PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2005 4:01AM GMT
Surnames: Halstead, Preston, Pearce
According to Wm. Leon Halstead’s “The Story of the Halsteads of the United States” page 90, Elizabeth (Preston) Pearce was a widow when she married Reuben Halstead. He indicates that “the identity of her parents or of her first husband or their place of residence are not known”

Connecting the Pearce/Pierce family of Anson Co, NC - TN - GA - MS - MO - AR

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: Pearce, Pierce, Holley
I believe that Edie and Jo's Pearce/Pierce families are connected.

Hiram (bc 1814-17 Anson Co, NC - d between 1870-1880 Henderson Co, TN) was the son of Joseph and Elizabeth Smith Pearce. They moved to Henderson Co, TN in the mid 1830's where Joseph died before 1840. Joseph was the son of Moses Pearce (c 1745-50 - d after 1830 Anson Co, NC) and the father of my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather William “Billy” Pierce.

Moses was probably the brother of RWS William Pearce (d mid 1809 Anson Co, NC). Both men lived on Lanes Creek and it's branch Beaverdam Creek. William witnessed at least one deed for Moses in 1793.

I do believe that there were other brothers. Jesse may have been the oldest as his is the oldest Anson Pearce deed that I have found. In 1770 he bought 100 ac on the Beaverdam Branch of Lanes Creek. Witness to the deed was Julius Holley. Remember him as Julius and his descendants figure in the Pearce family for generations. I have speculated that perhaps one of his sons was married to a Pearce. I suspect William Holley (Julius) in particular.

Wright Pearce (b before 1745 - after 1808) was granted 100 ac in 1783 that bordered Moses Pearce. In 1797 Moses sold Wright an additional 50 acres bordering his existing land. In 1806, Wright, Jr sold 150 acres that joined William Pearce RWS. Dec 1, 1808, Wright Pearce was a witness to the will of William RWS along with "JL Ellin" (James L Allen).

Wright, Jr disappears from Anson and I think that he went to somewhere in TN. I believe that he had sons Wright, III and Colin probably among others. Wright III was in Hardin Co, TN in 1840, McNairy in 1850, and Humphreys Co, TN in 1860 and 1870. Colin is in McNairy in 1850 and Stoddard Co, MO in 1860. Wright, Jr seems to resurface in Pulaski Co, AR in 1840 and 1850 as an old man.

William RWS entered for 50 ac on Beaverdam Cr in 1785. It was granted in 1790. He entered for another 100 ac on his boundary in 1795. In 1793 he witnessed a deed between "Sabry" Sabrah Holley, the widow of William Holley (Julius) and Moses "Pierce." He wrote his will in Dec 1808 and it was proven in Oct 1809. He named 5 children: William, "Aron," and John sons, Elizabeth Nash and Mary Pierce daughters. As mentioned above, one of the witnesses was Wright Pearce. 1800 and 1810 censuses show that he had 3 sons. I have seen William listed as William Aaron, but believe that they are combining the 2 boys into one.

Son William was briefly in Giles Co, TN with his wife Martha "Patty" Perkins' brothers. There is a William Nash there also who may be the husband of his sister Elizabeth Pearce Nash. On the USGenWeb Monroe Co, MS site there is a lovely piece written by "Miss Jessie Pierce of Smithville in 1958." It talks about her great grandfather William Pierce (William RWS) and early Monroe Co, MS.

Moses - he was already settled on Beaverdam Creek in 1783 when William was granted his land adjoining Moses. In 1793 he bought additional land from the widow of William Holley (Julius). William witnessed the deed. In 1797 he sold land to Wright. In 1813 he gave land to his son Moses, Jr. In 1814 he bought an additional 100 ac from James White. In 1818 he gave 150 ac to his son Joseph.

Moses, Jr died before 1830 leaving minor children: Sanders, Phoebe, Eason, and Bryant. I believe that there was an older daughter who was of age when Armiger Lilly was appointed guardian in 1833. Moses Sr is found in the 1830 Anson census 80-90 years old. He is living near a 40-50 year old Lucretia Pearce. I have not identified who she is, but she buys and sells land in the late 1820's. It is possible that she is the widow of Moses, Jr, but the children don't seem to fit. There was an Anson Pearce on the Muster Roll of the 8th Co from Anson in 1812 along with Moses, Jr and William, Jr. So far that is the only mention of Anson that I have found.

Another Pearce in Anson early on was John Pearce. John settled in the same general area as the others. He entered for land in 1778 but indicates in one entry that the land is next to "his own plantation" so he had been there for some time. I have not researched this John yet however he MAY be the John who entered land in Bladen Co, NC in 1792. I know from DNA testing that John of Bladen is related to Moses Pearce of Anson. John was awarded land in the 1827 Georgia Land Lottery in Camden Co, GA. He was listed as a RWS. He died in Camden Co, GA in late 1827. His family moved to FL where he has many descendants. This John is commonly listed on Ancestry as being descended from the Rhode Island Pierce family. DNA testing proves that he is not.

There are 2 other Pearces from Anson Co that I am interested in, but do not know where they fit in. The first is Asa. Asa was born before 1775 and died 9/10/1822 in Anson Co where he left a will. Asa was in the 2nd Regt from Anson in 1814 along with Moses, Jr. In 1819 Asa witnesses a deed made by Jonathan Taylor. Daniel Taylor is a name associated with Moses, Sr. Jonathan Taylor is most likely a relative of Daniel. The name Elliott is also mentioned in the deed. Again, a name associated with Moses, Sr, but also with my next subject John (c 1780 NC – after 1860 Ouachita Co, AR). In 1820, Absalom Holley, from our friendly Holley family, was granted 100 ac that began at Asa Pearce’s corner stake. That year Asa was living in Poe Township along with Moses Sr.

In Aug 1822, Asa was sound of mind but weak of body and he made his will. It was proven in the Oct 1822 court session. He gave Elizabeth his wife rights to all his lands on both sides of Lanes Creek for her lifetime. After her death it was to be divided between his sons Asa and Jesse. But if Elizabeth should deliver another son, he was to share equally in the land. Later deeds say that the land was willed to Asa, Jesse, and Thomas – sons of Asa Pearce, so she did have another son after his death. He gave his son William some livestock and the land adjoining a Holley. He had 3 daughters and they are not mentioned in the will, which drives me crazy.

Youngest son Thomas married Catherine Strickland, had children: Fanny, Levi, Isaac, and Asa. He died after 1880 in probably Union Co, NC that was formed from their part of Anson Co. Son Jesse was in Union Co through 1860. His wife was Pheby ? and they had at least 8 children. Asa, Jr seems to have had financial problems. The sheriff sold off his 1/3 of his father’s land in 1837. Oldest son William married Nancy ? and had at least 6 children. By 1845, Nancy is listed in the state census of MS in Tishomingo Co. She had 5 males and 3 females in her household. Their daughter Appey (Effie) married Alson Walden, the great grandson of Julius Holley.

John Pearce (c1780 Anson Co – after 1860 Ouachita Co, AR). In 1800, young John and his bride live near Isaac Pearce age 26-45 in Fayette Township, Anson Co. At this time I have no data on Isaac. Before 1823, John moved to Henry Co, TN. That year William Nash (husband of Elizabeth Pearce?) sold 150 ac of John Pearce’s land in Anson Co to John Elliott. Both William Nash and John Pearce were living in Henry Co, TN at the time. Julius Holley, grandson of old Julius was a witness to the deed. A year later, when Elliott sold the land, Moses Pearce was a witness to the deed.

John is listed in Humphreys Co, TN in 1830 and Benton Co, TN in 1840. Finally he is found in Ouachita Co, AR in 1860 next to his son Lorenzo D. John had at least 8 other children: John Jr, Benjamin, Hiram, E, Alfred Dickson (Dixon), and 3 daughters. Alfred and Lorenzo married Beavers sisters. Hiram married Kizziah Matheny Greer. The Greer family was from Anson Co. Kizziah’s mother was Elizabeth Pearce, daughter of ?. A final note on John – this family is NOT related to the family of Sugar Darling Pearce who was also in Benton Co, TN. DNA testing proves that the families are not related.

Finally, Moses Jr’s son Sanders Tilden Pearce married Mary Ann Windham about 1840 in Perry Co, MS. I don’t find Sanders in the 1840 census and suspect that he was staying with relatives. Which brings me to Thomas Pearce (c 1785 NC – after 1851-1860 Perry Co, MS). DNA testing shows that the family of Moses Pearce is very closely related to Thomas. I believe that Thomas was a brother or half brother to Joel Pierce (c 1775-80 NC – after 1840 Lawrence Co, MS) and that they were the sons of Lewis Pierce RWS (c 1756 – 1832 Covington Co, MS). Other siblings were Jeremiah Monroe, George, Nancy Ann, Lewis P, and Rebeccah. They had lived in GA as early as 1784 before becoming early settlers of southern MS c 1810-1820.

See http://www.piercedna.com for other lineages closely related to these families. We are Group B. It would be great to have some descendants of the other Anson Co Pearce/Pierce families participate so that we could prove the connection.

Hope that this helps!

Marcia McClure

Correction to Connecting the Pearce/Pierce family of Anson Co, NC - TN - GA - MS - MO - AR

Posted: 4 Jan 2010 10:42PM GMT
In my posting I said - "John Pearce (c1780 Anson Co – after 1860 Ouachita Co, AR). In 1800, young John and his bride live near Isaac Pearce age 26-45 in Fayette Township, Anson Co. At this time I have no data on Isaac. Before 1823, John moved to Henry Co, TN. That year William Nash (husband of Elizabeth Pearce?) sold 150 ac of John Pearce’s land in Anson Co to John Elliott. Both William Nash and John Pearce were living in Henry Co, TN at the time. Julius Holley, grandson of old Julius was a witness to the deed. A year later, when Elliott sold the land, Moses Pearce was a witness to the deed.

John is listed in Humphreys Co, TN in 1830 and Benton Co, TN in 1840. Finally he is found in Ouachita Co, AR in 1860 next to his son Lorenzo D. John had at least 8 other children: John Jr, Benjamin, Hiram, E, Alfred Dickson (Dixon), and 3 daughters. Alfred and Lorenzo married Beavers sisters. Hiram married Kizziah Matheny Greer. The Greer family was from Anson Co. Kizziah’s mother was Elizabeth Pearce, daughter of ?."

The John found in Anson in 1800 is NOT the John who died in Ouachita Co, AR. Once again - DNA testing to the rescue.

Re: Correction to Connecting the Pearce/Pierce family of Anson Co, NC - TN - GA - MS - MO - AR

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 7:20PM GMT
I have started doing a trace on my mother's side of the family and the John Pierce you mentioned that lived between 1781-1860 I believe is my 3rd Great Grandfather. If my research is correct he had a some named Benjamin Houston Pierce who had a son named Alford G Pierce who had a son named Albert Lee Pierce. Albert Lee Pierce was married to Betty B Clark who is my mom's parents. Both Albert Lee and Betty B are buried in Gary Texas about 15 miles from me. I wish I could sign up for the DNA test but I was adopted so the DNA test would not work. Any of the above info sound correct to you and if you have any other info please send me an email at johnrushing@rock.com, I'd would love to hear more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions