Search for content in message boards

inserting a generation into ftm

inserting a generation into ftm

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 10:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
hi. i have realized that i have another whole generation to add between 2 others. all the people involved are on the tree. i need to make a son of previous generation the father of the next one. do i detatch him from his parents which are incorrect & connect him to the correct parent? if i do, will i lose all his descendants? susan

Re: inserting a generation into ftm

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 11:42PM GMT
Susan

You detach the person from the wrong parents and attach him to the correct parents. You also need to correctly attach the correct parents to their parents. You will not lose the connection to spouses or descendants or any facts, notes, sources, or any other information on any of the individuals. You should review your sources and notes. You may have to unlink some of your sources from some people and link them to the correct people. Some of your notes may need updating.

Curt

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 12:19AM GMT
thank you curt. detaching people is always scary on 2012. i have had one disaster doing it. i am going to give it a try. susan

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 3:14AM GMT
Susan

You should always take a backup before doing anything you are unfamiliar with.

If you detach the wrong person you can always reattach them. Make sure you are detaching from the right relationship and then review all the relationships of everyone involved in the detach.

Curt

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 9:34AM GMT
Why don't you create a small test file and practice getting detach/attach etc right before going to your main file?

Having a test file, (use an old one or make your own) is a great way to try out new ideas without risking a disaster with your main file.

Bit like a golfer having a few practice swings before making his/her shot

John D

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 10:17AM GMT
I export the branch I am going to be working on and import it as a new file. This allows me to experiment with the people and relationships I am going to change.

Curt

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 4:06PM GMT
I have always been concerned about detaching a person and then reattaching that person to another person so here is what I do.

Before detaching the person I add a unique middle initial to the person’s name. For example, if the person’s name was Susan Smith I change her name to Susan Z. Smith

I then use my mouse and copy the name Susan Z. Smith

I then detach Susan Z Smith [being very careful to make sure I am detaching her from the correct person]

I then go to the place/person where I want to attach Susan Z. Smith (let’s say she should be the daughter of Bill Smith)

I then paste the Susan Z. Smith name as the daughter of Bill Smith

I then can [and do] go to the index and Susan Z. Smith will be listed twice – one right above the other

I then can scroll/click back and forth between the two Susan Z Smith’s names verifying what I want to do

If everything is correct I then just merge the two Susan Z. Smith names

It is somewhat tedious to do it this way but since I started doing this I have not mistakenly attached Susan Z. Smith to the wrong person nor detached her from the wrong person

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 4:12PM GMT
thanks to all of you for your help. i will try this today & let you know how i came cout. susan

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 9:25PM GMT
hi curt. i added in the extra generation, but when i tried to add in the child, ftm would not let me because a relationship already existed. the child is my direct ancestor. i had the father & son as brothers in the mistaken tree. this is probably the reason ftm won't allow it. now i really have a mess. i should have exported the branch like you said, but i did not know how to do it. can i still do it? susan

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 12:11AM GMT
Susan

You said you tried to add in the child. How did you try to do this and who was he the child of? You also said the relationship already existed. Is the child attached to the correct parents?

From what you said I suspect this is the child of the person you had attached to the wrong parents. Detaching that person and attaching him to the correct parents has no effect on his relationship to has spouse or to their children. The children were never detached from their parents.

There are a couple of ways to split off a branch of your file.

Method 1.

Go to File, Export, Selected Individuals. This will bring up your index. Select the person you are interested in. If you are only interested in descendants select the Descendants option. If you want ancestors select the Ancestors option. The Ancestors option gives you the option to include descendants of those ancestors. Review all the options on who to include. You can then export the selected people and import them as a new tree.

Method 2.

Select Publish, Charts. Decide which chart includes the people you want and review all the options. Make sure you include enough generations. Right click anywhere on the chart and export the people in the chart.

Both method 1 and method 2 can be used to split off a branch of your file that you want to share with someone.

Method 3.

Go to File, Export and export the entire file and import under a different name, Testfile, or whatever suits you. Now you can experiment to your heart’s content without it.worrying about messing up your real file. Once you are confident with what you are doing go back to your real file and make your changes.

It still pays to take a backup before trying anything complicated.

Curt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic