Search for content in message boards

Which software has priority?

Which software has priority?

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I found a duplicated ancestor in my family tree in Ancestry.Com (Ancestry added this duplicate person, I did not). I carefully clicked 'edit' on the duplicate person and chose 'delete this person'. However Ancestry deleted the whole 200-yr branch back from this person...including his wife and her branch! Unfortunately, 'UNDO' refused to undo the deletion! I hoped that going to my copy of FTM would allow FTM to sync to Ancestry and replace the deleted branch. After activating FTM, the 'lost' branch was displayed correctly in FTM! BUT as soon as 'sync' locked FTM to Ancestry...the branches in FTM also was completely deleted without my permission!
Luckily, I had backed up my complete FTM file yesterday.
Using Restore I was able to repair the FTM deletion.
But I am not sure what will happen next when Ancestry takes command of both software packages.
Is there someway to prevent Ancestry syncing with FTM and deleting branch sections without permission?

Re: Which software has priority?

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 10:41PM GMT
The most recent change updates the older record.

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 10:54PM GMT
The entire branch isn't/wasn't deleted. It was simply disconnected from the rest of the tree because the person who connected the branch was deleted. In the future when you discover duplicate people, you can merge them instead of deleting one or the other. There is no way on ancestry to delete people other than one by one by one.

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 11:46PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 2:18AM GMT
I suggest you look at your "list of all people" for the spouse/children in that line - the link has likely only been broken by deleting that duplicate person.

You can then link the line back to the remaining person (the one who had his duplicate removed).

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 12:43AM GMT
The problem is that Ancestry wiped out not only the duplicate but the original person and ALL of his ancestors AND his wife and ALL of her ancestors! Neither he nor she could be found anywhere...Ancestry totally deleted them from my account.
I was only able to recover them...be restoring a FTM backup file after Ancestry also deleted all data about them from FTM also!

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 12:46AM GMT
Sorry to tell you...but then why did ALL of his ancestors disappear along with his wife and ALL of her ancestors with one delete command?

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 1:18AM GMT
It didn't. It just looked like it did and you made an assumption based on what you saw in either the pedigree view or family view. If you had checked your list of names, you would have seen that the people were still there. I am sure no one will convince you that you erred and you will insist that this was ancestry's fault... but really, it was user error.

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 1:53AM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 2:17AM GMT
Were the duplicates created by ancestry, without your permission, by accepting hints from other trees?

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 4:39AM GMT
I have no idea where the duplication came from...a couple of days ago...there were only the ancestor couple with their correct ancestor branches. When I looked this morning...the husband had been duplicated as a 'side loop' connected to the same wife. I 'edited' the duplicate husband, clicked on 'delete this person'. And Ancestry deleted both the duplicate, the original, his wife and all of their ancestor branches.
"Undo" would not undo the deletions!
What bothered me more was that Ancestry.com then proceeded to totally delete the same branches of ancestors in FTM when they went into sync. And there was no way to protect FTM.
I had to reload a previous backup to bring the deleted branches back into existence.
Your other comments to me state that newer revisions ALWAYS take precedence. So I am hoping that my restoring the deleted branches on FTM will also restore them in Ancestry.

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 4:44AM GMT
Or by allowing the addition of a person from a record, such as a census, when the person already exists in the tree.

Although, if the person was truly duplicated, deleting one would not have deleted both.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions