Search for content in message boards

Sarah Edison (nee Miles)

Sarah Edison (nee Miles)

Posted: 2 May 2007 4:58PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Edison, Miles, Looney
Sarah Edison (nee Miles) b. 1847, d. 1919. She died at the home of her daughter, Magie Looney. She is laid to rest in the Family Cemetery in Stanley Valley.

I'd like to know if this cemetery is still in existence; and if there is a headstone for Sarah.

Thanks, Karen Bouton

Re: Sarah Edison (nee Miles)

Posted: 3 May 2007 10:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Karen,

Actually, Sarah's name was Eidson, she was married to James Monroe Eidson, son of Wellington Jackson and Mary Louisa McIntosh Eidson.

She and "Roe" are buried in a cemetery beside the old Shanks store in Stanley Valley. The cemetery is, I believe, still there but overgrown.

Sarah and Roe do not have a headstone but two of their children (who died young) do have headstones.

Was Sarah first married to Nathan Hickman and the mother of two sons from that marriage?

Posted: 3 May 2007 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Miles, Edison, Hickman, Shanks, Schultz
Hi ?: I've just started on Sarah's (my gr-gr-grandmother) research. Sarah was born to William and Sarah Schultz Miles in 1847. She married Joe Hickman 1 Jul 1861, they had Joe Hickman Jr. (becomes a preacher). She then married Mr. Casey and had my gr-grandfather, William Alfred Casey. William changed his last name to Miles when his father, Mr. Casey deserted the family. Sarah then married Lou Edison; children: Ed, Andy, Margaret, Ide, Chris.

All of the above came from my really old aunt's fading memory. The Hickman and Edison husbands' first names are different from what you have. Like I said, I've just gotten started on this branch, so I don't have any documented sources yet.

The "Shanks" name is the married name of one of Sarah's sisters husband (Rachel Miles and Andrew Jackson Shanks).

How do you fit in? Nice to meet you, and thanks, Karen

Posted: 4 May 2007 10:59AM GMT
I have been working on the Eidson Research for years. Please note the spelling. The pronunciation is as though it is "Idson", rather than Edison (like Thomas Alva). My great-grandfather was a brother to James Monroe Eidson who married Sarah Miles. My mother knew Sarah. I am a native of Rogersville, TN and I have lots of family still living there. I have been to the cemetery in which they are buried. I have also assisted in the publication of three volumes of Eidson research and one of those volumes (II) has a photo of James Monroe, Sarah, Ida, one of her sons from an earlier marriage unnamed, Andrew Jackson Eidson, another of Sarah's children from previous marriage, Edward Franklin (who changed his name to Eitson and moved to TX), James and Maggie Eidson Hickman/Looney and Chris.

Posted: 5 May 2007 5:49PM GMT
Would you please contact me via karenleebouton@comcast.net.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Sarah M Eidson
Here is some info I have. The problem is that it has been verbally handed down through my family. I would love to send you the copy of the family tree I have and maybe you could advise me as to whether we have the same relatives or not. I have been reading the posts for Sarah (Miles) Eidson and I believe I am her relative. My email is fasteddie49@gmail.com.
My grandmother's name was Margaret Florence Eidson Looney. Her father was William Eidson. His father was Roe Eidson.
Please help me if you can. Today is my first day on ancestory.com. Thanks you.
Attachments:

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 7:30PM GMT
Hi: It has been several years since I worked on Sarah's line. I will study your family tree and try to determine a connection. Are you on this family tree; please tell me your name. I see the surname 'Looney'; I also have that surname in my family. Keep in touch, Karen

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 5:00AM GMT
Karen. Are you looking at the sketch I sent?
My name is Edward James Looney. What I have shows that my father was James Jr. Looney. His mother was Margret (Eidson) Looney. Her father was William Eidson whos mother was Sarah (Miles)Eidson who was married to Monroe Eidson. That is what I have been handed down verbally from my family. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to see if I may be related to a Wellington Jackson Eidson that served with the Confederacy for Tennessee. The Looney name is questionable in that my grandfather, James Thomas Looney actually took the name Looney as he was born out of wedlock. His mothers name was Julie Ann Hickman. It is believed that his birth fathers name was Andrew Barret but know one knows for sure. Regards,Ed.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 5:43PM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2013 3:05PM GMT
My family members knew that Roe and Sarah were buried in a small cemetery in the location of the old Shanks Store in Stanley Valley. There were some stones there for their children who had died young but no stone for Roe and Sarah. You should know that this branch of the Eidson family has been published in Volumes 1 and 2 of It's Spelled Eidson. If you are interested in these books, please contact me and I will give you the information for ordering.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions