Search for content in message boards

moving files to new laptop

moving files to new laptop

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
I got a new laptop for Christmas. I just installed FTM 12 on it and now want to move all my FTM info from the old dying desktop to my new laptop...how? Gee, why can't it be as simple as downloading it on a flashdrive and then uploading in new computer...but no it must be more complicated. Please let me know how to do this. Thank you, Linda

Re: moving files to new laptop

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 5:34AM GMT
"Gee, why can't it be as simple as downloading it on a flashdrive and then uploading in new computer...but no it must be more complicated. Please let me know how to do this".

Linda,

It is that simple!!

From you old computer in FTM do a File>Backup.

Make sure you tick the include media box

FTM will produce a .FTMB compressed file including all your media

Save this .FTMB to your hard drive and then using Windows Explorer copy it to a USB drive or CD

(Note you can do this direct to a USB, but with a big file with lots of media it can be a bit slow).

Now take the USB to the new computer

On the new computer again using Windows Explorer create a new folder. Call it what ever you like [say] "My FTM files". It doesn't matter where you create it or what you call it.

Now using Windows Explorer copy the .FTMB file from the USB to the new folder.

Now the final bit

Open FTM, and do a File>Restore. Navigate to where you have saved the transferred file select it and press open.

FTM will uncompress the file and relocate and link all the media correctly.

Don't forget with your FTM on your new computer to register the program and if you have an Ancestry membership login using your Ancestry user name and password

That's it

John D

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 6:13PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2012 1:44AM GMT
Actually, it can be simpler than that.

Just copy your *.ftm files and associated ftm media folders to your external hard drive or thumbnail drive, or directly if you have a cable to connect the two computers directly to each other. Then copy the files to your new hard drive.

In FTM, go to File > Open and browse to the *.ftm file you want to open.

There is no need to go through the backup routine.

The impression left in the prior message that the *.ftmb file is compressed is not true. The backup file is not compressed and takes as much space as the old ftm file plus images take.

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 7:07PM GMT
"The impression left in the prior message that the *.ftmb file is compressed is not true. The backup file is not compressed and takes as much space as the old ftm file plus images take."

Oh dear, there must be an installation problem on my computer (XP SP3, FTM2012 all updates). The .ftmb is a zip format file containing a .ftm file and folder with all the associated media files.

Add .zip to the filename end and open with 7zip. One of the .ftmbs shows the .ftm as 29Mb uncompressed, 6Mb compressed.

Media files are generally already compressed if .jpgs.

If you transfer as a .ftmb file then all the necessary media files, no matter where they've been hidden, will move across as well and be restored in the media folder.

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 7:22PM GMT
If you have sync'd the file you will have to copy the Application Data relating to the sync as well.

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 8:12PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 9:18PM GMT
Regardless of what file names, etc, say, the end result is that the files are not compressed to any degree that makes any practical difference.

For example, my current file size (on disk)

.ftm = 227,592
media folder = 13,234,806,784
Total to = 13,235,034,376

the ftmb file from these = 13,309,116,416

This shows the ftmb file is GREATER than the grand sum of the two original file/folder combination.

There is nothing wrong with using the backup and restore routine. It is simply unnecessary. Copying the actual files themselves will do the job just fine.

If you are using an external drive to regularly backup all of your Documents folder to, then copying all of your Documents from the external drive to the new computer will result in all of your files being transferred to the new computer and ready for duty - including word, excel, and all of your other files.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 1:19AM GMT
Can we say this in really simple terms as you are looking at the screen? I don't see anything about adding media to click. I am a real novice.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 1:32AM GMT
ee the attached file

This is the dialog you see in 2012 when you do a file backup

Note you can tick the box to include media files

Note also FTM adds the date of the back up as part of the file name

John D
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 2:36AM GMT
If all of your media files are in the same folder, then the backup method might be OK. If not, copy the files and folders to a memory stick and copy them to the new computer.

If you can network your two systems, drap and drop between the computers.

Regards,

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:47AM GMT
When you do a File Backup in FTM, regardless of whether you have all your media in the media center, or scattered around your hard dive, they will all be gathered and backed up as part of the file>Backup and included in the .FTMB file. That is the whole point of File>Backup, as opposed to simply copying the .FTM file and all the media files. FTM does it all for you so you only have one file to restore to a new computer, or if you have a problem.

You should also practice restoring from a File>Backup to confirm that you have backed up correctly. Best to do this before you have to.

Pleaase note that you should never rely on the so-called automatic file save when you close FTM. It saves the file to the same hard drive as your working file. When your hard drive fails, and it is when not if, you lose everything.

On the other hand a file back up and saved on different media to the hard drive, maybe a USB stick, CD, an other hard drive anything but your working C drive, you have a chance to restore your file.

This applies to all critical files.

Ask yourself this question.

"What would I do if tomorrow if when I tried to start my computer the hard drive has failed?"

Ideally you should store your backup files in a different location to where your computer is. Floods, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, theft and grandchildren messing your computer can and do occur.

Saving online is one option and one advantage of having an Ancestror Member Tree is that if needed, you can recover your files, etc that way.

Google G drive, Mozzy etc are all other options.

Do what suits you but don't just save everything to your C drive.

John D
per page

Find a board about a specific topic