Search for content in message boards

Clarissa Sawyer born 1800 NY

Clarissa Sawyer born 1800 NY

Posted: 26 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 May 2002 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: Sawyer
Clarissa Sawyer born 1800 in Jefferson County,NY. Died in DeWitt, Illinois. Married Jeremiah Winslow in DeWitt. Looking for her parents and siblings. Would appreciate any information.

Clarissa Sawyer

Posted: 1 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2004 7:32AM GMT
I have copied all the Sawyers living in NY in 1810 in Jefferson Co.
Benjamin, has daughters in your time frame.
Elias, b. 9 Apr 1779 in MA, m. Hannah Slafter

in Watertown NY and has daughters in your time

frame.
Job, b. 8 Apr 1781 in MA, m Becca Upham in Watertown

NY. Not married in 1800
Nurse, No children in 1800
Thomas, b, 7 Sep 1757 in MA, m Susanna Wilder, in

Watertown NY youngest child in Ezra, b. 1798.
Thomas, Jr. b. 5 Jun 1780 in MA, m Eunice Fellows, in

Watertown NY, no daughters listed in census.
You might try Elias. Let me know.

Re: Clarissa Sawyer

Posted: 4 Feb 2006 12:32AM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2006 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: Sawyer, Mills, Harris, Wallace, Westcott, Harvey, Bassett
I have a Benjamin Sawyer married to Charlotte Mills who moved to Solon, Cuyahoga County, Ohio from Hounsfield, Jefferson County, New York. They had daughters: Betsy m. Alvin Harris, Nancy m. Chandler Wallace, Almira Elvira m. Giles Westcott, ruth Ann m. Mr. Harvey, and Eliza m. Mr. Bassett. My husband is descended from Almira Elvira Sawyer and Giles Westcott. I have just begun to research this family so don't have any more information yet.

Charlotte Mills Sawyer was born about 1785, so Benjamin was probably born about that time. Hope this helps.

Clarissa Sawyer

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 4:14PM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2006 8:38AM GMT
Surnames: Sawyer, Winslow
I have a Clarissa Sawyer who I think was born abt 1801 in Jefferson Co., New York, she married a Jeremiah Winslow the lived in Jefferson Co., NY I found them in the 1820-1830 census, they moved to Parma, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio
found them in the 1840 census, do you think there could be a connection to your Benjamin Sawyer?
Thank you
Clara

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 4:45PM GMT
There is probably a relationship, but I don't know what it is. I suspect that my Benjamin Sawyer had brothers and/or cousins with whom he traveled. Apparently a large group of pioneers left Jefferson County in the early 1800's and settled in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. I just posted a query on the Jefferson County Board about the Sawyer and Mills families so perhaps there will be some useful responses.

Thanks for writing.

Nancy

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 5:14PM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2006 8:38AM GMT
Thanks for the reply Nancy,

Posted: 7 Feb 2006 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: Sawyer, Winslow, Wakefield
I've been poking around looking for information on your Clarissa and haven't come up with much. I suppose you know she was born 20 Sep 1800 in NY, died 19 Sep 1844 in DeWitt County, Illinois. She and Jeremiah were buried in the McCord Cemetery in DeWitt. One of their daughters was named Sylvia Lugenie. The name Sylvia (or some variant thereof) seems to be prevalent among the Jefferson County Sawyers. My husband's great-great-grandmother Almira Sawyer Westcott named a daughter "Augusta Sylvina."

Another DeWitt County pioneer was one Orin Wakefield (1808-1885) son of Joseph Wakefield and Susan Sawyer. He was also born in Jefferson County, NY (Watertown). Perhaps his mother was an aunt to our Sawyer ancestors. At least they came to the same place. It appears there was a Thomas Sawyer who emigrated from England in 1639, first settling in Lancaster, Massachusetts -- a man from whom at least some of the Jefferson County Sawyers, including Susan Sawyer Wakefield, claimed descent.

The more I dig the more confusing it becomes.

Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions