Search for content in message boards

Converting from version 16 to 2012

Converting from version 16 to 2012

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
For the past several days, I've been trying to upgrade from version 16 to 2012. The import always fails at the same point: An error occurred during import. And always with individual 9094. My file is only 604KB, so it's not that large.

I tried the Low Memory import - fails at same point.
I've compressed the file.
I've re-indexed the file
I've ran the file fixer - no errors
I've ran file checker and fixed 2 minor error. Reran with no errors.

Using the import log and gedcom file to determine who 9094 is and deleted this person.
However, rerunning the import fails at the same point with individual 9094 - who is a different person.

Gedcom is not an option as I have far too many images in my database.

What other actions can be taken to import my file into 2012? Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Converting from version 16 to 2012

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 9:59PM GMT

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 10:26PM GMT
I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 12:23AM GMT
The 2005se version did not work as expected. The error is: "The file you are trying to load is from a newer version of FTM and cannot be loaded." My FTM version 16.0.350 has the 2006 update.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 1:15AM GMT
Can anyone suggest how I can upgrade from the 2006 version 16 to 2012?

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 4:49AM GMT
"For the past several days, I've been trying to upgrade from version 16 to 2012. The import always fails at the same point: An error occurred during import. And always with individual 9094. My file is only 604KB, so it's not that large.

I tried the Low Memory import - fails at same point.
I've compressed the file.
I've re-indexed the file
I've ran the file fixer - no errors
I've ran file checker and fixed 2 minor error. Reran with no errors.

Using the import log and gedcom file to determine who 9094 is and deleted this person.
However, rerunning the import fails at the same point with individual 9094 - who is a different person.

Gedcom is not an option as I have far too many images in my database.

What other actions can be taken to import my file into 2012? Thanks for your help in advance".

I would suspect that you have a corrupted file that is affecting the import. Importing from version 16 to 2012 is complex as the flat form database in version 16 is transformed to a multi-tabled relational database and on corrupted record can cause the problem

Try this

In FTM 16 make a new file with one person it it.
Now merge you existing FTM 16 file into it
Get rid of the duplicate and then compact the file

Now try an import into FTM 2012

John D

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 2:50PM GMT
John, that is an excellent suggestion. I remember resorting to that in the old FTM16 days to clean up a nasty contaminated file. It created a new file with a clean file structure. If I remember correctly, errors and faults were isolated and not imported.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:15PM GMT
It is an old trick first suggested by "BJ" and it seemed to get around the file corruption issue when a GEDCOM was not an option because of media concerns.

I will be interested to see if the suggestion is tried on this problem and the outcome.

I am quietly confident

John D

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:44PM GMT
Thank you, John. I'll give this a try and report back.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 12:36AM GMT
I created a new file with one dummy record, then imported my FTM file. This took several hours, but completed without any problems. I then tried to import the new file in the 2012 progra, but it still failed at the same exact spot including the low memory import method. I re-indexed the file, ran file checker and file fixer - all with error. Then tried the import which failed.

Do you have any other suggestions?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions