Search for content in message boards

Manhattan, New York

Manhattan, New York

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 12:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Why does Manhattan, New York resolve only to Manhattan, Kings, New York even when I tell it Manhattan, New York, New York? Frustrating. Lori

Re: Manhattan, New York

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 1:30AM GMT
Some things are inexplicable.

Solution:

If you are in the Places Workspace.

Right click > change > to "Manhattan, New York, New York, USA

If using FTM2012 and that isn't resolved, use the up arrow to moved Manhattan to the top entry box. New York, New York, USA should resove, then click ok and Manhattan, New York, New York, USA.

All of this is only if you using, or want to use the heirarchical view which was introduced in FTM2012.

If you don't care about that, just change it to Manhattan, New York, New York, USA and right click resolve > Ignore.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 1:34AM GMT
Thanks. I tried to change it to New York, New York and it 'corrected itself' to Kings every time! Like someone has redirected it somewhere along the line. I do care because I like the hierarchical view but I'll correct it when it can be corrected. Meantime, I know where it really is! ;) Lori

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 1:47AM GMT
It's doing the same thing on Middlesex, England - converting to London even though Middlesex is a choice. I wonder who creates the Place list? They may need some attention.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:41AM GMT
Look again.

I enter: "Manhattan, New York, New York, USA" - it is entered with the Unresolved icon.

I go to Places, select the above and Manhattan, New York, New York, USA is the choice just below "Manhattan, Kings, New York, USA" I select that choice and I am resolved....

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:50AM GMT
This is a bug that has been reported before. As I recall, if I type it all in, and choose to ignore the unresolved place name, I'm fine, but if I select the Manhattan, New York, New York, USA option from the drop down place names list, it changes my selection to Kings when it saves...

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:54AM GMT

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 3:36PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2013 3:41PM GMT
Maybe because Manhattan is actually Kings County New York, and not technically part of the geographical New York City. While run as one city, (New York)it is my understanding that each of the five boroughs of New York are each one county, one legal entity, in the State of New York.

It is my experiences that FTM resolves places in the US in to subdivision, township, county, state. Since Manhattan is the subdivision and to my knowledge there are no townships, FTM resolves it to Manhattan Subdivision, Kings County, New Your State, USA

This is the same for a community in Ohio. where Chatfield Ohio is resolved into Chatfied subdivision, Chatfield Township, Crawford County. Ohio State, USA

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 4:44PM GMT
If I tell ftm to use one place name, regardless of whether I am right or wrong in my selection, and ftm instead uses something other than what I told it use... That's a problem/bug.

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 5:34PM GMT
According to the county of New York, Manhattan is located there, not Kings. Brooklyn is in Kings.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions