Search for content in message boards

Moses Price

Moses Price

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 6:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for anyone with information about a slave named Daniel owned by Moses Price in the Cherokee Nation He was sold to Joshua Roach by Looney Price.

Marlene Roach Morrow

Re: Moses Price

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Price, Roach, Drew, Gentry, Jolly, Rogers
Greetings!
I may be able to help with your questions regarding the slaves Joshua Roach, and also your questions involving Moses and Looney Price, and Charles Drew.

I have spent much time researching slavery among the Cherokees, especially slaveholding among the Treaty Party, which supported the CSA.

Moses Price--who seems to be a Cherokee mixedblood--is mentioned in the federal records that pertain to the Cherokee Agency in Tennessee. From what I can tell in these records, Price lived near the mouth of the Hiwassee River, where it meets the Tennessee River, and was part of the "Jolly/Rogers" Cherokee community that lived in that place until everyone moved to Arkansas Territory, from 1817-1820. John Jolly was a mixedblood leader of the Arkansas Cherokees and owned many slaves, as did many of the other Arkansas Cherokees. Moses Price registered for emigration to Arkansas in 1817 and probably went there, although he is not found in the later records from circa 1830.

A Looney and Aaron Price seem to be related (sons?) to this Moses Price. Looney can be found in the circa 1830 records.

The Drew family was also part of the Arkansas Cherokee community and they were also slaveholders, including Charles Drew.

As for Joshua Roach, he seems to have been an intermarried white, whose Cherokee wife was a direct descendant of the famous Nancy Ward.

You will also find Joshua on the Cherokee Emigration Roll, but from a later date. (There were several westward emigrations before the big one in 1838-39). Apparently Joshua emigrated to the Cherokee Nation West (present-day NE Oklahoma) in 1833, before the Trail of Tears, from his home in north Georgia.

You can find Joshua on the 1860 U.S. Census of the Cherokee Nation (Lands West of Arkansas) and on the slave schedule for the same census, upon which he is shown as the owner of nine slaves. The slaves, of course, are shown by age and race, and not by name.

I hope that this information helps your search. If you have any of your own information about the relationship between Moses Price and Looney Price, I would appreciate it. I am searching for more information about David Gentry, who was another of the Cherokees who lived among Moses Price and John Jolly, et. al., at Hiwassee, and who also can be found in the federal records for that place and for the Arkansas Cherokees, who were forced to move westward into Indian Territory in 1828....

Patrick Pynes, Ph.D.

Re: Moses Price

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 8:01AM GMT
Thank you for the information. My great grandfather Daniel Roach stated in his testimony to the Dawes Commission that Moses Price was his master and Moses was the one who raised him. He also said he was sold to Joshua Roach by Looney Price. I assumed that Looney acquired ownership of Daniel when Moses died.

Marlene Roach Morrow
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions