Search for content in message boards

Adding a Decorative Photo or Embellishment' to a Descendant Chart

Adding a Decorative Photo or Embellishment' to a Descendant Chart

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 2:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
On page 179 of "The Companion Guide to Family Tree Maker 2012", under the heading 'Adding a Decorative Photo or Embellishment', there is a photo with an embellishment shown as a separate page. I want to add exactly this as a title page for a descendant chart that I am creating. But I cannot figure out how to add this as a separate title page nor can I find any reference as to how to do it.

Any help greatly appreciated

Carmen in Ottawa Canada

Re: Adding a Decorative Photo or Embellishment' to a Descendant Chart

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 4:51PM GMT
Carmen -

Try the link below - and at the bottom of that link are some more references to look at:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5240/~/inser...

Virginia

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 7:33PM GMT
Thanks Virginia.

The 'write up' is much the same as that in the Companion Guide and unfortunately neither ones tells you how to put the photo and embellishment on a separate title page. As you suggested, I also looked at one of the other references (Customizing a chart in Family Tree Maker 2010 – 2012) but agin no luck.

I just can't figure out how to put it on a page all by itself.

Thanks anyway .... Carmen

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 2:24PM GMT
Carmen -

You could try inserting the photo and embellishment above, below, or in place of the chart title and - as you view the chart pages in the book format, move your photo/embellishment appropriately (probably to the left) so it is in the center of the first page.

Virginia

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 1:13AM GMT
Ok Virginia, I did exactly as you suggested and I end up with the embellishment in the top left corner of the first page on which there is a chart. But I want only the embellishment to be on the first page - just like a title page. I can not find any way to move it to a separate page. I don't know if you have tried to do it but I sure cannot do it.The photo and embellishment, as shown on page 179 of the Companion Guide, is exactly what I want.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Carmen

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:07AM GMT
Carmen -

I can't figure it out and FTM certainly doesn't make it easy to edit or customize a chart. That would be so simple in a program like TMG's Visual Chartform or Rootsmagic charts.

You might hand it over to FTM Support and see what they come up with - probably just refer you back to the manual or the tutorials, which I found of no help.

Virginia

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:52AM GMT
You are right Virginia, the manual is of no help whatsoever. It shows a nice photo and embellishment but doesn't explain how they 'apparently' place them on a separate page. I believe I did send a query to FTM support but did not receive any reply; but, as you say, they will probably just refer me back to the manual.

If I ever figure it out I'll let you know how it's done.

Best regards .... Carmen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic