Search for content in message boards

American Phonetics - Obie & Storsley

American Phonetics - Obie & Storsley

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 6:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Obie, Storsley, Anderson
Tollef Obie immigrated to U.S. in 1885(?) and married Gunhild Storsley. They homesteaded in Union, ND. Together they had nine children - all of which I have been able to find. I'm trying to find the original spellings of their surnames, their parents names, and where they were from in Norway. Also, Alfred Mikol (Mekal) Anderson immigrated to the U.S. in 1903 and married Nettie Obie (daughter of Tollef Obie). I'm trying to find out where Alfred Anderson is from in Norway or if he possibly emigrated with his family. I've searched high and low. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Re: American Phonetics - Obie & Storsley

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 7:36PM GMT
When was Tollef born? When was Gunhild born? They married in the US?

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 7:44PM GMT
Tollef Obie was born in 1859 Norway. Gunhild Storsley was born in 1862 Norway. Yes, they married in the U.S.

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 9:26PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 9:46PM GMT
Obie and Storsley does not mean anythig to us.
Surnames were only used in the big cities.
We used patronyms and farm names anyway and patronyms changed with every generation.

you can check emigrations at Digitalarkivet
"Emigranter fra Oslo 1867-1930", I found 264 Tollef there and one aged about 26 in 1885, Tollef Haagensen Sletten from Øvre Rendalen aged 26 and tollef Asbjørnsen from Laurdal aged 23.
Of course the american census ages might be a few years off.
I doubt there was anyone named obie .

There are other emigration lists too, over Bergen for that matter.

The T middle name (was it some census T, or a middle name?) often was the actual patronym in the norwegian census so it is important to mention it.

I see they were naturalized in 1889, are there any records of that, did they change their name then? Storsley is not norwegian either, just half. If you find their norwegian names, you can maybe find them crossing the atlantic, and from the norwegian names you can find where they came from.
They had to apply for american citizenship in order to get any land.

What do you mean with that you found their parents´names, what were their parents´names?

This board here is common for Rootsweb and for ancestry, and those who are in the ancestry website can see Tolllef and his wife and children in Cavalier in the 1920 census, but not the others...

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 10:01AM GMT
Earlier this year on another message board you were looking for information from the Milton centennial book about the Obie family. That would seem a good option to continue to pursue because more information is definitely needed.

Try contacting the Cavalier County ND websites and/or local genealogical/historical societies. I see at least one person who is listed as willing to do lookups in that book.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ndcaval2/
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ndcavali/cavalier.htm

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 11:52AM GMT
Edited: 13 Apr 2011 11:59AM GMT
I find three Alfred Andersen aged 19 and two aged 20 in the 1903 emigration lists for Oslo. None with Mikal or thereabouts as middle name.
There are other lists too.

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 3:45PM GMT
Hi

There is an Alfred M. Andersen leaving Norway 1903 from Stavanger and going to ND.
He was born about 1886 in Egersund.
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

I would think the name Obie was Åby/Åbye/Åbø in Norway. (Å often spelled Aa)

Vivi

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 4:54PM GMT
Vivi found an Alfred M. Andersen that emigrated in 1903. In the 1900 census for Egersund, there was only one person named Alfred Andersen. Here he is living with his mother in Egersund:

http://www.digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 4:58PM GMT
The baptisms for Egersund are indexed, so finding the record for Alfred was easy. His middle name was indeed Mikal:

Born 24 Jan 1886 in Egersund,
Alfred Mikal
Father: unmarried sailor Anders Olsen from Flekkefjord
Mother: maiden Anne Malene Rasmussen from Egersund

This was Anne's 2nd illigitimate birth.

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 5:10PM GMT
Edited: 13 Apr 2011 5:10PM GMT
The attached World War One draft registration is for a man named Alfred Anderson, born 24 Jan 1886 in Norway. His residence is Prarie Farm, Barron county, Wisconsin and his employment address is Bisbee, Towner county, North Dakota. If these locations match "your" Alfred Anderson", then the birth date confirms that he is the man that Vivi found in the emigration records.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions