Search for content in message boards

Coffey/NorthCarolina/Florida

Coffey/NorthCarolina/Florida

Mary Lanthier (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2002 7:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in connecting with anyone named Coffey or related to the Coffey family who live or have lived in the Central part of Florida. My Grandmother's family lived in Blowing Rock, NC when she was born. Some of the family migrated to Lake County, FL where my Grandmother and Great Uncle moved and finished school after their Mother, Millie "Coffey" Rich died. My Grandmother received correspondence from relatives and there were Coffey's who attended her funeral. My Grandmother was Laura Rebecca "Rich" Garnto of Umatilla, FL I would appreciate hearing from you.

Re: Coffey/NorthCarolina/Florida

Teresa Norwood (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2002 3:56PM GMT
You descend from Joseph Archie and Nancy Adelaide Norwood Coffey. I just met with a descendent of Robe Patterson Coffey last night. We would be glad to share with you.
Teresa Norwood

Posted: 2 Jun 2002 9:49PM GMT
What a nice surprise! Whatever you share with me, I will pass on to my "Rich" family members. I was aware of the family name "Coffey" growing up but to my knowledge never met any of them. I just knew that my Grannie kept in touch with them. Another family name that I heard a lot was Penley. Are you aware of a connection with the surname "Penley"?

Teresa Norwood (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2002 3:36PM GMT
Sorry, I don't know anything about the Penley name. I only recently found descendents of Nancy Adalaine Norwood and Joseph Archie Coffey. I would like to know more about your GGGM Millie Coffey Rich. Do you have a picture of her or her parents? Who are her siblings?

Posted: 10 Jun 2002 12:54PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 3:06AM GMT
Hello, I was reading your email to Teresa and found it very interesting. I am doing research on the Coffey family for a cousin of mine. I am not directly related to him.....but through his wife. Any how.....

My cousin Pete Coffey line of family came down from NC to Lake County Fl. I feel you must be related. Here are some names for you to look at. Please email me at adib102684@aol.com or write to me at
Angela DiBlasi
6214 Foster Ave.
Tampa, Florida 33611
813-832-5344

1. Roba P COFFEY. Son of Joseph Archie COFFEY & Nancy Adelaide NORWOOD. Born Jul
25, 1866 in Cherokee County, NC. Died Oct 19, 1938 in Fl.

Research: Robe Coffee married Sis Seigle 12/3/1901 Monroe County TN

He married Agnes / Sis or Maggie SEGAL (SEIGLES), daughter of Marion SEGAL (SEIGLES
OR SEAGLE) & Louesa J. NORWOOD, Dec 2, 1901 in Monroe County TN. Born Apr 3, 1878
in TN. Died May 27, 1955.

They had the following children:

2 i. Edward COFFEY
3 ii. Samanitha (Maint) COFFEY
4 iii. Marion Roscoe COFFEY
iv. Winnie COFFEY; Born Sep 7, 1911 in Prob NC or TN. Died Mar 14,
1990 in FL.
never married

v. Merritt COFFEY; Born Jun 9, 1916 in Tn or NC. Died Feb 10, 1993 in
Saint Cloud, Osceola, Florida.
Never married, was blind

5 vi. Robert COFFEY

Second Generation
2. Edward COFFEY. Son of Roba P COFFEY & Agnes / Sis or Maggie SEGAL (SEIGLES).
Born Sep 17, 1902 in Prob NC or TN. Died Sep 12, 1992 in Athens, Mc Minn, Tennessee.

He first married Stella WOMACK, About 1912 in Prob. Tn. Born About 1909. Died 1938 in
TN.

i. COFFEY (Still Born);
ii. COFFEY (Still Born);
iii. COFFEY (Still Born);
iv. Blanche COFFEY;
She married Robert Mc'MELLON.
v. Lilley COFFEY;
She married Howard TEASTER.
vi. Hoover COFFEY;
He married Betty Jo HUMBARD.

He second married Grace WOMACK. Born Mar 11, 1911 in Prob. TN. Died Mar 2, 1997 in
Athens, Mc Minn, Tennessee.

Grace and Stella are sisters

i. Arthel COFFEY;
ii. Wayne COFFEY;
iii. Ronnie COFFEY;

3. Samanitha (Maint) COFFEY. Daughter of Roba P COFFEY & Agnes / Sis or Maggie
SEGAL (SEIGLES). Born Apr 21, 1906 in Prob NC or TN. Died Mar 27, 1992 in Florida.

She married Jim / James DAY. Died 1974. Death Cause Drowning.

i. Hazel DAY;
She married WILLIAMS.
ii. Souse DAY; Death Cause she killed herself.
iii. Jimmie Clayton DAY;
iv. David DAY;

4. Marion Roscoe COFFEY. Son of Roba P COFFEY & Agnes / Sis or Maggie SEGAL
(SEIGLES). Born Jun 9, 1909 in Hazel NC. Died Dec 1975 in Lake County FL.

He first married Jessie Lee RUDD. Born 1912 in Island grove Fla. They were divorced
Between 1947/1948.

i. Virginia Lee COFFEY; Born Apr 30, 1937 in Eustis FL. Died May 2,
1937 in Eustis FL.
6 ii. Dorothy COFFEY
iii. James Marion COFFEY; Born Jan 20, 1943.
7 iv. Joyce COFFEY (Illegitimate)

He second married Rachel Sue Anna WATSON, daughter of Washington Rumbo F. WATSON
& Bertie Alice WATSON, Feb 28, 1948 in Lakeland Fl. Born Sep 8, 1914 in Knoxville,
Tennessee. Died Dec 8, 1993 in Eustis, Florida.

Two children by first marriage that he and Sue raised: Dorothy and James

8 i. Angie COFFEY
9 ii. Sharon COFFEY
10 iii. Cledith Ray (Pete) COFFEY

5. Robert COFFEY. Son of Roba P COFFEY & Agnes / Sis or Maggie SEGAL (SEIGLES).
Born Dec 12, 1919 in TN, Tellico Plains, Monroe County. Died May 23, 1998 in Eustis, Lake,
Florida.

He married Delma. Born Mar 31, 1919. Died Oct 28, 1998 in Eustis, Lake, Florida.

i. Sara COFFEY;
ii. Pat COFFEY;
iii. Edward COFFEY;
iv. Jimmy COFFEY;

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 12:37AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 3:06AM GMT
1. Joseph Archie COFFEY. Son of COFFEY. Born About 1842/1843 in NC. Died Between 1875/1880 in NC.

Research: 1870 Census Cherokee County NC
#30 Coffee, Joseph 24 NC, wife Adalade 23 NC, Roba 3 NC, Martha 1 NC
Rural Vale Cem. Monroe County TN.
D. Marion Seagle 1853-1926
Louesa J. 10/6/1855 - 5/10/1930
Grady Coffee 2/31938 to not date: Army
John G. Coffy 1897-1938

He married Nancy Adelaide NORWOOD, daughter of Thomas Franklin NORWOOD & Elizabeth Ann WARD, Oct 24, 1866 in Caldwell County NC. Born 1847 in NC.

2 i. Roba P COFFEY
ii. Martha COFFEY; Born 1870 in NC.
iii. Lillia COFFEY; Born 1872 in NC.
iv. Ann COFFEY; Born 1873.
v. John COFFEY; Born 1875 in NC.

Second Generation
2. Roba P COFFEY. Son of Joseph Archie COFFEY & Nancy Adelaide NORWOOD. Born Jul 25, 1866 in Cherokee County, NC. Died Oct 19, 1938 in Fl.

Research: Robe Coffee married Sis Seigle 12/3/1901 Monroe County TN

He first married Margaret HUNTER, daughter of Alex HUNTER & Margaret, Nov 18, 1883 in Clay County NC, Brasstown. Born About 1863.

i. Ruby COFFEY; Born 1898 in NC. Died 1927 in age 29 yrs.
Research: Death Cert. McMinn County TN
Ruby Cuckner d. 1927 age 29 born NC Father: Robe Coffee born NC and Mother: Mary Hunter born NC #15784
She married BUCKER.
ii. Gud COFFEY; Born Apr 30, 1937. Died May 2, 1937.
iii. Grady COFFEY;

He second married Agnes / Sis or Maggie SEGAL (SEIGLES), daughter of Marion SEGAL (SEIGLES OR SEAGLE) & Louesa J. NORWOOD, Dec 2, 1901 in Monroe County TN. Born Apr 3, 1878 in TN. Died May 27, 1955.

3 i. Edward COFFEY
4 ii. Samanitha (Maint) COFFEY
5 iii. Marion Roscoe COFFEY
iv. Winnie COFFEY; Born Sep 7, 1911 in Prob NC or TN. Died Mar 14, 1990 in FL.
never married

v. Merritt COFFEY; Born Jun 9, 1916 in Tn or NC. Died Feb 10, 1993 in Saint Cloud, Osceola, Florida.
Never married, was blind

6 vi. Robert COFFEY

Notes:
Jesse Coffey married Margaret Nancy Edmington
known children born:
1. Reuben Coffey 1805
married Rachel Hayes 1807
children: Ransom 1829 NC, William 1833 NC, John 1837 NC, Lucinda 1840 NC, Virginia Eliza Jane 1844 NC, James C 1838 NC

2. McCaleb Coffey
married
Known children: Millie Coffey 1845 who married Wade Hampton Rich

Millie Coffey Rich died in North Florida. At her death and signed in her signature book were the names of Roba Coffey's children: Winnie Coffey and Robert Coffey with his wife Delma.

Roba is the son of Joseph Coffey and Nancy Adelaide Norwood. Roba was born in NC but died in North Florida. Millie lived and died in the same area as Roba and his children. Some of the Coffey family still live in there.

How are Millie and Joseph Coffey related? Are they brother and sister? They are both from the same county in NC and Millie died in the same county in Florida as Joseph's children! HMMMMMMMM?

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 9:09PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2003 11:44PM GMT
did some digging to see if joseph archie coffey and millie coffey are brother and sister. i found out that they are not. i did find one thing though millie is reuben's child and not his brother mc caleb's. reuben and mc caleb married sisters. reuben married rachel hayes and mc caleb married her sister sarah "sally" hayes. this is probably why the mistake was made. the family tree section for millie confirmes that reuben is her father and not mc caleb. hope this info sheds some light on the situation.

Posted: 14 Jul 2003 12:50AM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I am interested in where Millie died and where she is buried. I have located information on several Census files that Wade H Rich (grannie's father) and a grandson lived in Umatilla in 1910. No mention of Millie. I have also been told that Wade remarried either after she died or they split up. Do you know anything about where GGrandma Millie may be buried? I feel there must have been a lot of sadness in my Grannie's life for her not to want to discuss her family and life more. I know she cheished the letters she got from the Coffey family members she heard from. Thanks for answering my message. I have a picture of her that I recently found when she was probably less than 50. Obviously my Dad took it and didn't bother to think about the fact she had just returned from a hard day of work because her dress was filthy. She was always a very hard worker, I know, I used to stay at the church after services and help her clean up and walk home with her about midnight. One of my favorite memories, when we had the most of our talks, too bad I don't remember much of what she told me.

Walter Wilmoth (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2003 4:45PM GMT
Thomas Penley married Martha Emiline Coffey dau. of John Coffey and Mary Monroe Pettitt.
Walter

Posted: 22 Apr 2004 7:16PM GMT
Surnames: Penley/Coffey
I am not as acquainted with the Penley family as my sister Evelyn. I shared the information you sent me on the connection with the Coffey family and she would like to know where this Penley family lived. My mother rented a house to Burr Penley's parents at one time and I knew they were related but not to which side of our family. I also don't remember his father's name. Would you mind if I give Evelyn your e-mail address so she can contact you directly? I don't like to do it without your ok.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic