Search for content in message boards

NEED HELP WITH FAMILY TREE MAKER PLATINUM PLEASE

NEED HELP WITH FAMILY TREE MAKER PLATINUM PLEASE

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 11:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just bought Family Tree Maker Platinum,and have been told the software can only be used once,can anyone tell me please if this is so.the reason I got it was I was given a small laptop and was going to copy the info to it so I could add extra ie about births,deaths and things you would not put on the internet.but now dont know what to do so please help

Re: NEED HELP WITH FAMILY TREE MAKER PLATINUM PLEASE

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 3:02PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2013 3:03PM GMT
If I understand your question you want to put FTM on your laptop. FTM will load on your laptop like any other computer, and you can easily transfer you database to the laptop. I have FTM on my laptop so I can take my database any where I go regardless of internet availability.

I believe that the license is that only one copy of an FTM version can be in use at one time. I have never tried to install it on my Desktop for the reason I stated above.

Having the same database on two different computers presents problems of syncing the two files. I suspect it could be done with a program like Syncback, but you could only use one at a time, and then the most recent would be copied to the other computer.

It is also my understanding that the same program is contained within all flavors of FTM. the difference is what is packaged with them.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 3:07PM GMT
Cheryl

Since you just bought FTM I am assuming it is FTM 2012, the latest version. I am not sure what you mean by “only used once”. Could you provide more explanation?

There is only one version of the FTM program. Platinum refers to the extras that come with it, usually a brief subscription to Ancestry.com and maybe some other stuff.

FTM can be used as many times as you want. It can be reinstalled if that becomes necessary. You said you are going to “copy the info” but you don’t say where you are going to copy it from. I suggest you create a file and learn how to use FTM before you start making permanent updates. This way you can try different things without worrying about making mistakes. Just go thru the various menus and try the options. Once you are comfortable using FTM you can “copy the info” into a permanent file and start making the real updates. I suggest you keep the file you were learning with. When you come across a new condition you can try it on the test file first to make sure you understand what you are doing.

Curt

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 8:19PM GMT
"I believe that the license is that only one copy of an FTM version can be in use at one time."

I have it installed on my laptop and desktop.

Currently I have the program open on both computers. I happen to have my father's database open on one computer and my mother's open on the other.

I can search on both computers.

Working on two databases simultaneously is quite interesting.....

I know that the DOS version would open on only one computer at a time but this new-fangled C# .Net stuff doesn't seem to be so limited.

Dunno if that answers the OP's question though because I'm not sure what it was!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions