Search for content in message boards

Online versus on computer

Online versus on computer

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have had numerous Family Tree Makers on my computer (since mid 1990's) However on my latest computer I have not installed my older program and am thinking of getting the latest version (v.2012). I have my information online along with the subscription have files, pictures, etc.

My question is whether it is worth having FTM on my computer or just to keep going with keeping it online?

Re: Online versus on computer

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 5:05AM GMT
FTM 2012 introduced a feature branded TreeSync. Basically, whatever you have at Ancestry.com (assuming this is what you mean when you write "online") will also be what you have in FTM 2012. In other words, it's all the same tree, just different ways of accessing it (FTM or Ancestry.com).

If you're a half-way serious family historian or simply interested in backing up the work that you've put into your tree at Ancestry.com, then I would recommend purchasing 2012. It will download copies of everything from your tree at Ancestry.com (including all of your citation media like census record images). FTM 2012 is a super-enhancement for Ancestry.com.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 1:54PM GMT
While Ancestry is not about to disappear any time soom, it could happen. More likely their system will overload or your ISP will go down. If you can live with these disruptions to the access to your database go with the online tree. If you know you will only be working on your family. (writing stories, ect) where you will aways have internet access go with the online tree.

However if you go to cemeteries, go to the location of family residence for pictures, visit relatives with questionable internet access, etc. Go with the main database on your computer.

For myself I like having all of my documents (I download everything and scan the rest) and my data on my computer. I can go out in the yard beyond my wireless and work in the shade on nice days, I can take it to the cemetery and check the tombstone information against my database. I don't have to worry which corner of the library I find the books with my information. If I am in a hotel, I am not dependent on their system, nor do I have to worry about getting on a secure network.

As you can see for me there are many incidence where the
internet is unavailable, so I can work anyplace I go.

If you are asking me, then keep everything on your computer, back up your database to one of your other computers or your external hard drive (They are cheap now days) and if you like put your data online as a tertiary location of your information.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 8:13PM GMT
Good points on both accounts. Since I do a majority of my work online and on Ancestry.com, I think I would be served just as well making a back-up copy periodically rather than invest in FTM for my computer.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 8:31PM GMT
Not mentioned yet is the Advanced Database management functions of FTM. It does some things that Ancestry just can not do.

And to me of equal import are the extensive reports and charts available in FTM which can not be duplicated at Ancestry.com.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 10:52PM GMT
If you cancel your paid subscription to Ancestry.com, you will not have access to the record images. This may or may not matter to you. Having the tree on yor computer, you can have all of the record images without a subscription (once downloaded).

regards,

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 12:50AM GMT
That is true. Would have to down load everything. Plus the viewer

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 1:14AM GMT
My comment was based on if you are going to end your subscription in the future, you will not have access to the record images. If this is not an issue and you can get all of the reports you need from your ancestry tree, then FTM 2012 is probably not needed at this point.

Regards,

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 1:27AM GMT
If you save an image to your computer, it is saved as a JPG image. There are thousands of viewer that will load JPG inages. There is one that comes standard with Windows, and I suspect there is one on a MAC. So no special viewer is needed

If you do not have an image view on you computer that are many free ones available. I personally use Irfanview a free download

I keep all of the documents images to support my genealogy work on my computer. I "print" every thing to a PDF printer (there are many free ones) and maintain them as PDF files. In my opinion PDF are easier to use the JPG images.

Again there are many free PDF writers and viewer.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 9:41AM GMT
I think it's a bit misleading to say that it's "all the same tree". In fact, it's two separate databases, one online, one on your local hard drive, which FTM can be configured to automatically synchronize. But with FTM you have the advantage of still having access to the local database even when Ancestry.com is unavailable.

I don't automatically sync in FTM, for a number of reasons, one of which is that I don't want work in progress being dumped online. I also prefer having local backup copies of my databases (e.g., in GEDCOM format) for data portability, or in case I should decide not to renew my Ancestry subscription just because I don't want my work locked into Ancestry.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions