Search for content in message boards

Cousins Who Married

Cousins Who Married

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
My 2nd cousin Lloyd married my 2nd cousin Edna (they were 1st cousins). How do I record their marriage and add their descendants?

Re: Cousins Who Married

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 5:31AM GMT
You fill in their respective lines as usual

You then get to the fact when you marry Edna to Lloyd (or vice versa) that she already exists. Add her as the new spouse

Now she is in twice

Now go to edit>merge two individuals and merge her.

That is it. FTM will do the rest and if you check the relationship calculator you will see the at two relationships have been created cousins and spouses

John D

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 12:02PM GMT
John

When both parties to a marriage are already defined in the database isn’t it easier to just use Attach Spouse to create the relationship?

Curt

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 1:05PM GMT
Yes - it's easier to attach:

Assuming both are in your database

Select one of the parties
File Menu
Person
Attach / Detach Person
Attach spouse - will bring up a pick list, start typing name last name first until you see the spouse.
Click ok

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 10:18PM GMT
there are often several ways to do the same thing in computer applications and we all have our preferred methods.

Pick the one that suits.

When responding to this list I usually try and provide a single simple answer to get the job done, rather than try and provide an exhaustive response with all the options.

IT is good that others provide althernative solutions

John D

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:09PM GMT
John

When I need to define a relationship between two people in my file I always use Attach. You have to be careful that you are attaching the right people to the right relationships but it is a one step process. If you attach the wrong people you simply detach them.

Defining a duplicate person is also simple. If you then merge the wrong people you have a big problem.

Curt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions