Search for content in message boards

Ancestry.com tree and FTM 2012 tree. Can I merge them

Ancestry.com tree and FTM 2012 tree. Can I merge them

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 3:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am sure this is in one of the 100s of threads already, but can not locate it. I had created a tree on FTM 2012. I then get Ancestry.com membership and build a tree on there. I have now uploaded the larger FTM tree to Ancestry.com thinking it would be nice and easy to merge the two. This would be great because, though the FTM tree is larger and more complete my two weeks on the Ancestry.com has found a bunch of more info that would be great on the FTM one. Is it possible?

Re: Ancestry.com tree and FTM 2012 tree. Can I merge them

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 10:10AM GMT
I think you are confusing merging with linking and syncing

With your tree in FTM go to the plan view and link and syb the FTM tree and create a linked tree on AMT

Then whenever you make a change in FTM or your linked AMT the files will be synced either automatically or manually which ever you choose

John D

Re: Ancestry.com tree and FTM 2012 tree. Can I merge them

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 11:36AM GMT
I think you are going about this the wrong way. At this point you have two trees, the one you created in FTM and the one you created over two weeks on Ancestry.com. Uploading your FTM tree to Ancestry and merging them on Ancestry will not solve your problem of having two different trees.

I would download your Ancestry tree to FTM as a new tree. Do not use the sync feature when you do this. After backing up both your current FTM tree and the one you downloaded from Ancestry you can carefully merge the smaller Ancestry tree into your FTM tree. Once this is done you can delete both trees on Ancestry and upload the merged FTM tree to Ancestry using the sync option. This will allow you to have updates to one tree copied to the other.

Curt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic