Search for content in message boards

Is there a list of known problems with FTM 2012 and between FTM & Ancestry.com?

Is there a list of known problems with FTM 2012 and between FTM & Ancestry.com?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've just upgraded to FTM 2012 from V8 and I have synced my family trees to Ancestry.com. I then set my Sync Option to Manual instead of Automatic, just because I guess I'm nervous about any potential problems that might arise.

So that leads me to four questions...(so far!):

1) Is it 'best' to sync manually or automatically?

2) Is there a list anywhere of problems with FTM 2012?

3) Is there a list of problems between FTM 2012 and Ancestry.com?

4) One of the things that excited me most when I learned FTM 2012 & Ancestry could share info was the ability to import Source info from Ancestry into my FTM trees. (Census, marriages, deaths, etc..) Are there any known problems with this feature that I should be aware of? Because I'm really quite anxious to start using that feature!

Re: Is there a list of known problems with FTM 2012 and between FTM & Ancestry.com?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 6:12PM GMT
I have not seen a consolidated list. There are several threads on this board which discuss problems that various users have experienced.

I echo the sentiment that the sync process has become much more reliable after the last few patches.

One recommendation I would make is to make changes only in one platform before sync-ing. I mean to say - make additions, changes, corrections in your online tree, if you wish, then sync before making any changes from the FTM side.

I personally find it easier to work in my online tree, but other users have different preferences and opinions.

I also highly recommend that you set sync to manual immediately - you don't want it to try to sync just as you are shutting down or using some other memory-intensive program.

Also, be sure to read through and set the options before you start making any additions, changes or corrections from either platform.

Good luck!

Re: Is there a list of known problems with FTM 2012 and between FTM & Ancestry.com?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 8:49PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2013 8:50PM GMT
1) Is it 'best' to sync manually or automatically?

I would go with manually, just because I distrust most things that are automatic.

2) Is there a list anywhere of problems with FTM 2012?

The closest place I know is to search this board.

3) Is there a list of problems between FTM 2012 and Ancestry.com?

Ditto 2

4) One of the things that excited me most when I learned FTM 2012 & Ancestry could share info was the ability to import Source info from Ancestry into my FTM trees. (Census, marriages, deaths, etc..) Are there any known problems with this feature that I should be aware of? Because I'm really quite anxious to start using that feature!

This, indeed, is the neatest part of using FTM - as the gateway to the ancestry databases (NOT the trees). A couple of notes:

1) I would definitely work from FTM and let it sync up to ancestry. One prime reason for me is that Fact Notes in FTM don't sync to AMTs. I copy all kinds of stuff into Fact Notes. I use the "printer friendly" screen for copying some records directly into the Fact Notes, including Civil War Records, birth and death records - especially ones that show parents names, some census records, and many others. There are other reasons: ability to filter for where people lived, born, died, filter for different spelling variations, filter for text screens, etc, etc. Better and more expansive reports. More centralized control over things like place names.

2) Even though the access to, and automatic merging of records in ancestry datbases is the neatest thing since sliced bread (which led to the popularity of the sandwich!), the sources do have their problems. They far more wordy than they need to be, especially repeating "ancestry.com" over and over again in the same source reference note and not abbreviating words - which makes paper reports longer and longer and complicates any move they might make to the preferred way of handling footnotes on a page by page basis instead of by endnotes in paper reports (not much effect on web presentations). Also, census sources often omit the census page number - which drives me crazy.

You will quickly get hooked on using ancestry databases. The whole structure and implentatoin is very cool (except for relatively minor items noted above.)

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 9:17PM GMT
Silverfox3280: Thanks for your reply. And I hate to sound dumb, but when you say you "use the "printer friendly" screen for copying some records directly into the Fact Notes,"...are you talking about copying into the "Source Citations" window in FTM?

And what do you mean by the "printer friendly screen"?

One of my main things (issues, really) is I think I'm hung up on Source Citations. Hung up on getting them "perfect"--the way they're supposed to be entered into FTM. And I thought that having Ancestry syncing up to FTM would be my solution, but it sounds like it won't be. It sounds lke I'm going to have to copy, paste & edit those Source Citations into FTM myself... Is that right?

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 1:39AM GMT
On citations, there seem to be an extraordinary number of trees with no sources at all for anything! On syncing Ancestry is supposed to add a general "Ancestry family trees" source for all new or supporting facts added to one's tree from other trees. But it doesn't, or at least only does so randomly. I forget how many times I've had to go through cleaning up, just to link that source to facts, so it sounds like you may get irritated, too!
There are also batches of sources which are only cited in the Ancestry text, with no images. These often don't get properly cited when attached to a person, so I've taken to going back to the source on Ancestry (after syncing), copying the text and pasting it into the source details in FTM. Depends upon how perfectionist you feel you need to be!

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 2:19AM GMT
Thanks for the info, 2101bob! The Source Citations are so very important to me. I hope I can get a grip on them between Ancestry & FTM.

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 3:49AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2013 4:25AM GMT
It sounds like you haven't done any research in the ancestry databases yet. Try it once to see how it works. Pick someone out who was born after 1850 and find them in a census.

When you are at a page in an Ancestry.com database in the WebSearch Workspace, there are a series of links in the upper left:

1) Enter alternative data
2) Report issues
3) View Friendly Printer page

No. 3 above - View Friendly Printer Page, gives a "clean" page that you can copy and paste - but into FACT NOTES. I wouldn't put it in citation text. In the person tab, look at any fact, then to the panel to the right. You will see tabs for Sources, Media (I never place media directly here, but rather in citations), and FACT NOTE.

What is it about Source Citations that has you hung up? And NO, you don't need to manually be entering sources or citations when you research in ancestry databases - that's part of point of using the ancestry database service, it's done for you.

If you go to a US Census 1880 and after, the whole family will be merged for the Name, Birth, and Residence facts for each person in the family - in ONE operation, and also download a copy of the census page linked in each citation. (Families weren't designated before 1880, so merges have to be one person at a time for 1850-1870.

To what I was alluding to before, here is what ancestry posted as source and citation from a census record today:

Ancestry.com, 1860 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009), www.ancestry.com, Database online. Year: 1860; Census Place: Mundy, Genesee, Michigan; Roll: ; Page: 157; Image: 157.

Note that ancestry.com is repeated THREE times. "Database online" is unnecessary verbiage. I would rather the source title be "US Federal Census" than United States ....., 1860 is entered twice, roll is printed but no info about the roll, and Provo, Utah is totally unnecessary, and the "image 157" is also unnecessary, etc. As long as one is just putting up web page trees, the extra words don't mean much, but they do to a person trying to print a report on paper.

Aside from these "small" problems, you will love researching in electronic databases. It beats working with microfilms or paper books any day. Unfortunately, there is still lots of stuff out there that isn't digitized yet - particularly wills and probates.

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 3:58AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2013 4:00AM GMT
I never use ancestry trees except maybe to get a tip. Or, occasionally I go there to get a lead on a maiden name of a married woman. I put the url of the page and the maiden name in a fact called "Links to Maiden name". I never put it in a Name Fact until I have it supported from somewhere.

Why would anyone who subscribes to the databases use the trees? Not only are the they inaccurate and full of garbage, but as you say, they are unsourced. I'd much rather do research in the databases. That's the fun of this genealogy activity is finding out relationships and solving puzzles on people from the past - not copying trees.

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 5:54AM GMT
Since I suspect you haven't used ancestry databases before, a couple of tips.

Enter as much info that you know in FTM for the particular person.
Select them - in either Family Tab or Person Tab
Select the Web Search Workspace.

The search page will appear and the person and some of his or her data should appear already filled in.

Birth date - make it be +/- 5 years, add a location if you didn't enter it and know it.
Enter "Any Event" and enter a place where they lived. If they lived in a different place when growing up than when adult, enter multiple places.

Click on Search button (at bottom of page).

The first item listed will probably be an entry into ancestry.com trees by users. Ignore them.

If you don't see your census records floating towards the top, click on Census records in the left side of the page and select the year you want to look for (more recent or oldest you think you might find the search subject.

If you have a person with a name that was often spelled in different ways, you may have to do multiple searches or use the ? or * wild cards.

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 8:26PM GMT
I agree with the warnings about being careful using info from other trees. My wife's family come from Liverpool, in England, yet there are a lot of AMT trees with one person who died in Liverpool, Onondaga, New York State. It appears that one person typed in Liverpool either in their AMT or FTM trees, and the Auto Fill selected the wrong Liverpool.

Following this, a number of people have copied the wrong information into their trees. I will use other AMT info as a guide, to help confirm my research, or I confirm myself the info is correct before I commit it to my tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic