Search for content in message boards

Login Failure

Login Failure

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I subscribe to ancestry.ca and decided to purchase the Family Tree Maker software so I could sync with the on-line tree. After installing and updating, I get a login failure. I didn't realize that that login was for ancestry.com - I purchased a download version through the Canadian website and nothing there said anything about ancestry.com.

Now the strange thing is that with my subscription level I can log into ancestry.com no problems. So why won't the program? No response from customer support yet. Specifically bought this software over The Master Genealogist so I could link.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Login Failure

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 4:13PM GMT
Do you by chance use more than one computer to logon? There can be only one computer at a time logged in; and sometimes exiting the program or discarding a browser tab won't "take" with ancestry and they still think you are logged into a previous session on another computer.

At any rate, I suggest you call ancestry. They can tell if you are logged in by other means and reset your login, or otherwise help to troubleshoot login problems.

1-800-262-3787

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 4:58PM GMT
I do but one is normally turned off when I'm on the other.

I'll try technical support later this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 7:24PM GMT
" I didn't realize that that login was for ancestry.com"

mike,
All the different country urls link back to the Salt Lake City set of servers so it doesn't matter where you are.

When FTM has to connect to Ancestry to search it always uses Ancestry.com which is the site you register with when you activate.

The website format you see is based on your profile and the country version of FTM. I'm in the UK and FTM always searches on Ancestry.com but it restricts me to UK databases based on my subscription.

If I log in outside FTM, via Firefox to Ancestry.co.uk, I have to sign in separately and get the id and password saved in that browser. If your default browser isn't IE then you may not be able to login automatically without first signing in separately.

It's all done by cookies, If the cookies disappear then the login id disappears. Or so it seems.

If your problem is that you can't search via the .ca url then you'll have to sign in separately and get it to remember your id and password.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions