Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Henry Bedford

Descendants of Henry Bedford

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bedford, Rogers
Posted on behalf of Russ Bedford:

My family emigrated from Pennsylvania in the latter part of the 19th century. Several of them were born in and around Elkland, PA. My great-great-great-grandfather and his sons worked as millers and millwrights. He was Henry Bedford and his sons were Homer and Gordon.
Homer's birth name may have been Dupont, but I cannot verify this.
Homer's death certificate lists his mother as Elnora Rogers, but Gordon's mother is unknown. Approximate births and deaths are as follows:

*Henry Bedford - 5/9/1840 (PA) - 3/16/1920 (MI) *Elnora Rogers - 1851 - ?
*Homer Bedford - 1870 (PA) - 1922 (MI)
*Gordon Bedford - 1875 (?) - 1929 (MI)

I also have reason to believe that Henry's parents were John Bedford and Elinor Sadler, who were most likely born in England. Both are buried in Bethel cemetery in Sullivan co. I am interested in any information available on my family, especially the starred (*) individuals.

Russ Bedford
Flint, MI
russbedford@gmail.com

Re: Descendants of Henry Bedford

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 9:21PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Bedford, Sadler, Rogers, Craven, Smith, Glidewell, Lee, Plotts, Norton, Hunsinger, Molyneux, Kay, Kaye, Little, Mullan, Mullen, Sturdevant, Green, Andrews
This response summarizes information provided by Larry Pardoe:

Hi Russ,

Bob Sweeney had forwarded the email you sent him regarding a particular branch of the Bedford Family. Although I am not a direct descendant, I am sort of linked with them due to the interfamily marriages of some of the Bedford descendants with those families that my family married into.

I have been researching the Bedfords as well as other Sullivan County, PA root families since the late 1990's.
I do have information of some of the families you asked about, i.e. John Bedford (1809-1888) and Elinor Sadler (abt 1815- ? ). You indicate them to have been buried in Bethel Cemetery, although the transcription of that cemetery doesn't show him or Elinor listed. I actually believe he was buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetry, Wolf Township, Hughesville, Lycoming Co., PA.

I show that John and Elinor did have a son Henry but I didn't have any information regarding him other than what I had gotten from Family Tree Maker Vol 13 Tree #1400, which showed him b. 1839.

You show approximate dates for him as 5/9/1840 (PA) - 3/16/1920 (MI) which could very well fit this Henry Bedford.

In your email you show that Henry was married to Elnora Rogers, b. abt. 1851. I find this very interesting as I do have a Elnora Rogers in my tree. She was born abt. April 1851, a daughter of Richard Rogers (1824-1869) and Susana Craven (b. abt 1830, d. unknown). I was unaware of her marriage to Henry Bedford, but I do show that she married Charles Lee, abt. 1882. (Now I'm thinking that he would have to had to be at least a second spouse).

Since receiving your email from Bob Sweeney, I have dug into the census records and find Henry Beford and Ellenora in the 1870 Hillsgrove Twp., Sullivan Co., PA census with a one month old son, Dupont.

I was unable as yet to find Elnora in the 1880 census, but will keep looking. I did find a Henry Bedford in the 1880 South Ward Milton Boro, Northumberland Co., PA census where he shows as age 35 year old carpenter. This appears to be same Henry, but I'm not sure. He was living alone and his marital status was not shown.

By the 1900 Canton Twp., 1st District, Bradford Co., PA census Elnora was married to Charles Lee for 18 years. The census shows she had 3 children born and 2 children living (although they were not living with her at the time). I haven't found out who these children were as yet. If she was married first to Henry Bedford, then maybe the two living children could be Dupont "Homer" and maybe Gordon? I believe Elnora died between 1910 and 1920 - here is some pertinent info ref that:

Park Cemetery at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/cemb/park306.htm
Shows Elnora Rogers Lee, b. 1851, d. no date. Not sure if she is buried there or not.
This portion of an article on husband's notes page shows:
"Charles Lee died in 1905 and is buried in Park Cemetery here. Mrs. Lee known in the circus world as Madame Elnora, when she had a trained dog act, died a few years later and is buried beside her husband."

I found Henry Bedford in the 1900 Taymount Twp., Saginaw Co., MI census living with son Homer. I can't find him in 1910 census, but in 1920 Montrose Twp., Genesee Co., MI census he was living with son Gordon. (The only thing that bothers me is the fact that on some of the census records it shows his parents b. PA, when in reality his parents were b. England. That plus the fact that his age in the census seems to change around a lot, making it difficult to pin point him as the right Henry Bedford that belongs to John and Elinor Bedford.

Here goes a summary, some of which I have already mentioned above:
Henry Bedford, son of John Bedford and Elinor Sadler Bedford was married to Elnora Rogers. They were married abt 1868-1869. They had a son Homer Dupont Bedford, b. June 16, 1870. You weren't sure if the other child was Henry's or not. He was Gordon Bedford, b. January 27, 1875. You have Henry and Elnora divorced about 1875. I can't figure the date, but I did find her in 1880 census 1st Ward Williamsport, Lycoming Co, PA living with a cousin. She was divorced and using her maiden name. I did find Homer age 10 living with John Plots (Plotts) family. His wife Mary Ann Bedford was Henry's sister - hence aunt of Homer. Homer showed as Plots in error. (1880 Elkland Twp., Sullivan Co., PA censs). I also found Gordon Bedford in 1880. He was listed as Redford, Gorden, living with aunt Sarah Jane Bedford Glidewell Smith and her 2nd husband John Smith in 1880 Albany Twp., Bradford Co., PA census. He showed as nephew, so I pretty much think he was also Henry's son. I feel pretty lucky to have found father, mother and children being they were all four apart, in different areas and even with the wrong names. Was lucky for me I had marriage info on Henry's sisters to make the connections.

Henry's grandfather was Henry Bedford (1784-1863) and Sarah Secker (1783-1857). They had 8 children;

Mary - nothing further
Ann - m. William Kay/Kaye
John m. Elinor Sadler - (see descendants below)
Richard M. m. Sarah Little (not to be confused with Rev. & Hon Richard Beford, b. 1812).
James m. Lucy Ann ( ? )
Harriet m. Joseph Mullan/Mullen
Jonas m. Lydia Molyneux
Henry m. Mary Hunsinger

This second Henry, your ancestor, was one of 8 children of John and Elinor Sadler Bedford;

Samuel m. Harriet Norton
Mary Ann m. John G. Plotts
Henry m. Elnora Rogers
William S. - nothing further (Civil war age - maybe a casualty)
Sarah Jane - m1 S. G. Glidewell, m2 John Smith
Thomas m. Ann Sturdevant
Martha m. John W. Green
Zilpha m. Miles Andrews

Courtesy of Lorin Pardoe
pardoe@paonline.com

per page

Find a board about a specific topic