Search for content in message boards

Relationships Quandry

Relationships Quandry

Posted: 4 Oct 2007 3:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a problem. I want to enter my life partner into my family tree, but currently there is no apparent way to do that. It's black and white - you're married or you're not. I'm not, but I'm most definitely in a long-term, committed relationship. This is nothing new. In years and centuries past there were common-law, handfasting, etc. I have already submitted comments and suggestion on this matter to Ancestry.com. However, I wanted to post about it here to see how others have handled this? Thanks...

Re: Relationships Quandry

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 3:38AM GMT
You point out a real shortcoming in the existing programs.

The Ancestry and LDS products are either behind the times or dictated by religious dogma.

Some other sites that host family trees have options for relationships such as 'friend' but I am not sure how that would show up in a family tree.

If I were in your place I would be tempted to call the relationship a spousal one, despite the gender implication in the term 'spouse'.

There is a possibility I will explore, and will get back to you if there is a positive outlook.

Good luck,
Jade

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 5:02AM GMT
You did not say what program you use.
I type "not married" in the marriage place field. Seems to satisfy most needs and programs.

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 5:30AM GMT
I don't use a program per se. I have found I don't need one with a full membership to Ancestry.com. I do my family tree mainly online right here on Ancestry.com through the membership tree under My Ancestry. I bought and was using FTM 2008 but see no point because it's more convenient to use My Ancestry I can access it from anywhere, etc.

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 5:30AM GMT
Jade, I'd really appreciate hearing what you find out. Thanks so much!

Trish

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 10:51AM GMT
A similar situation applies when entering details of a child born illegitimately. How do you enter parents' details if they were never married?
I simply enter the parents as 'spouses' but do not enter any marriage details.
I think it is really a question of semantics here. The problem might be resolved by changing the on-screen label 'spouse' to 'partner' but I suspect that this would cause even more complaints due to its 'politically-correct' connotations!

Ian

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 2:57PM GMT
But are you able to download and create a CD from your tree to give to someone. Recently in my husband's family we discovered that a spouse of my husband's cousin was actually related to our family. They have been married nearly 50 years and we never knew that until their daughter discovered that. I created a FTM CD for their daughter which includes pictures, etc.

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 3:01PM GMT
I see from your response to another in this thread that you do not use a gedcom program but want to use the Ancestry tree setup.

My intention was to look around for flexible software that could be used to upload, but then of course the host site would have to have a compatible format.

It is possible that there is at least one site on the web that hosts trees using a program that can accomodate what you want to enter.

In another thread re: trees you can find a post by an Ancestry.com project manager, Genealogy_man that gives his email address. Consider contacting him. A you pointed out, it affects entering data concerning several types of non-traditional family arrangements and events.

Good hunting,
Jade

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 3:49PM GMT
Jade:

I found a recent thread started on October 3, 2007 by Genealogy_Man and it was about what I'm talking about, in a general way. I comments on that thread, and also emailed him directly. Thanks much!

Trish

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 9:32PM GMT
Not sure what your actual issue is.
I haven't gotten to the point of having to deal with what might be your issue.

Are you talking about a same-sex relationship? One that if you lived in Massachusetts you could get married?

Are you talking about a hetrosexual relationship, but not legally married?

Are you looking for a way to show the gender of both of you in a same sex relationship within Member Trees?

Or is it more of showing that you have a relationship, but it's not a legal marriage?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions