Search for content in message boards

Agonizingly slow sync

Agonizingly slow sync

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 1:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Since Friday-ish last week (4 January) sync between my FTM tree and Ancestry has been freakishly slow. I haven't changed anything on my side, save my tree has grown a bit (from just under 8000 individuals to just over 8000). Nonetheless, a simple 5 record change online can take up to 30 minutes (or more) to sync since about Friday.

Has anyone else noticed this? Nothing else has been altered on my end, and it makes no difference whether I am syncing from FTM-->Ancestry, vice-versa, or bidirectionally.

Re: Agonizingly slow sync

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 2:43AM GMT
Not here - speed about the same as previously.

In my experience, changes made from FTM take MUCH longer to sync than changes made from the AMT side, so I try to make most updates/edits/changes on the AMT interface.

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 4:39AM GMT
Suggest you compact your file, also

I suggest that you reboot your computer and also check your Internet speeds

John D

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 5:17AM GMT
Internet speeds are fine; I'm a remote DBA by trade, and my 50Mbps connection is solidly reliable. However, I was not aware that FTM-->AMT updates were slower than the reverse. I had never noticed a difference before. I *haven't* compacted my file in a while, however. I'll see if that helps.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 7:00PM GMT
I have been having the same issue and I just compacted my file to see if that was the issue and it didn't change anything

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 7:56PM GMT
Yeah, same here. Syncs are just unreliable.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 8:07PM GMT
I too find searches and sync's slow. I too compact before each sync and have the top high speed service available here locally (Ontario, Canada).

So i have been watching my timing and find trying to search or sync on weekends after 11 am runs into a clogged Ancestry service ( perhaps the east coast has woken up, had breakfast and are now ready to work?) So, I try to do my work before 11 am and during weekdays.

Might this help? Cheers,
Bo

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 12:01PM GMT
Yes FTM 2 from the Mac syncs are amazingly slow. I use the iPad app and it syncs in 10-15 seconds. I make a change in FTM and the sync will be a 5 minute process.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions