Search for content in message boards

Generations Family Tree Software

Generations Family Tree Software

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 9:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Several years ago I purchased this software by Sierra.It was originally for Windows 95 and 98 but I now use it on Windows 7.
I would like to copy the program and share it with members of my family but do not know how to do it. Also I would like to know how to back it up as I would hate to lose several years of entries into my family tree.
any ideas?

Re: Generations Family Tree Software

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 10:32PM GMT
Export a GEDCOM file to a safe place. This is what I did when I left "Generations" a long time ago.

NOTE: This board is for Family Tree Maker software. Most people on this board have not used "Generations".

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:09AM GMT
There is a forum on this software at:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/generations/

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 2:33PM GMT
While there are ways to keep an old program running, the longer you wait the bigger the problem will become. Eventually like WordStar, the files will become impossible to access and the program under any circumstances will not install and run.

It would be my recommendation to up grade to one of the many genealogy programs, there are some good ones that are free.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-genealogy-family-t...

I believe FamilySearch also has a good Free genealogy program, and I am fairly confident that organization will out last FTM/Ancestry. ;-)

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 6:26AM GMT
I have the quite old Generations Family Tree Software De Luxe Edition 1998 and have used it on Windows XP but now have a new computer using Windows 8 and it won't allow me to download the program from my disks. Is there anything that I can do to overcome this?

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 3:10PM GMT
This is a forum for Family Tree Maker program, not Generations Family Tree.
But I can tell you this, is that you will NOT get your current program installed on Windows 8. GFT is a 16 bit program, and Windows 7 and Windows 8 do NOT support 16 bit programs.

You need to get a update program that will run on Windows 8, make a GEDCOM from your GFT data, and then import the GEDCOM into your new program.

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 10:07PM GMT
I will post to the forum that you mentioned BUT I would like to add that I have heard of the program (it had been recommended to me several years ago when I was searching for the 'best' one), have it, still use it & love it but know it is losing ground etc.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic