Search for content in message boards

Hitzler who emigrated to Guyana

Hitzler who emigrated to Guyana

Posted: 7 Aug 2001 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2001 4:42PM GMT
Surnames: Hitzler Haley
Has anybody got information on the Hitzler family.We know that "Mimi" married a John Daniel Haley in Guyana. She had a sister Henrietta Maria, Henrieta Susannah and Josephine. The marriage we believe was 27th Sept 1819. henrietta Maria lived in the Hague.

Re: Hitzler who emigrated to Guyana

Posted: 21 May 2006 10:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gall Duke Hitzler
I have a Sarah Hitzler in my family. She married Henry Gall (1804-1862). The Galls had connections in Barbados and British Guiana/Demarara (now Guyana). It seems that we may be connected somehow.

anne spence (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2006 9:36PM GMT
Surnames: Hitzler
Do you have any more information on Sarah Hitzler?

David O'Carroll (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2006 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Gall Hitzler Beckles Estwick
A document in the Barbados Museum library records information by Edith Gall (born 1872) as follows:
"My father [Frederick adolphus GALL] was son of Hnery Beckles GALL. His mother was Miss Hitzler of german origin. There was a title in her family. My father said she could claim it, but it cost a lot of money."

I have traced the Gall family back to the death of Estwick GALL in 1761 in Barbados. Some of the family were in Guyana but I don't know where. They were likely to be sugar planters.

David

Posted: 4 Dec 2011 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: Hitzler
Hi, I too am a descendent of Gall/Hitzler. My grandmother, Hitzler's granddaughter said that the name was von Hitzler but the family had to give up the title when they moved to Barbados and married into the GALL family. That is all I've been able to obtain through word-of-mouth. Have either of you found more information about the Hitzler line?

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: HITZLER GALL SHANKS WALTON
Hi
Our family tradition is that Sarah Hitzler could have claimed her title but it would have cost money!
>

I have come across John Louis Hitzler born in St.Martin who married Eloisa SHANKS in May 1824. They had a son named James Shanks HITZLER. He married Clara Augusta GALL 25 Feb 1862. He died 15 May 1876. Clara was born in Barbados 1 Sep 1845 and died in England.
<>
The Hitzler name was carried forward by the Walton family. Geoffrey Hitzler Walton (1878-1951) was born in Barbados. His father was George O’Donnell Walton, an M.D. in Barbados,educated Harrison College. Geoffrey originally worked in the sugar cane business in British Guiana. 1898, he came to Canada and farmed near Winnipeg. He started a real estate and contracting business in Winnipeg in 1903 called G.H. Walton Company. He came to Victoria in 1912 and in 1917 he started the Sydney Lumber Company, shipping 40 million feet of lumber a year all over the world. In 1906, he married Helen Josephine Lyon (1878-1961), whom he met in Winnipeg. They had at least two sons and three daughters.
>

The information I have on the Galls and Hitzlers is on my website at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ocarroll/g... You can get my e-mail on that site if you want to ask me anything direct.
>
I have written a family history of the GALL family which can be found at: http://ocarroll.familytreeguide.com/accounts/ocarroll/histor...
>

It would be interesting to know the name of your grandmother and her parents to fill gaps in my family tree database.
>

Hope this is of interest.
>

David O'Carroll (great great grandson of Sarah Halman Hitzler)

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 4:54PM GMT
My great grandfather was Dr. David Spence who married Mary Anne Catherine Arrindel Haley on18th June 1832 at St. Andrews church , Georgetown BG.- by special license
Her father was John Daniel Haley, provost marshal.who married Hentietta Susannah ?Cunegrunde Hitzler born 31st July 1832 I have the will and testament of John Daniel Haley and his wife saying that he leaves money to his mother Janna Haley nee Jeems ?( at that time) residing in the Netherlands.
I wonder if this is of interest.

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 12:54PM GMT
I am slowly gathering information on the Hitzlers and am writing a web page for my website. So far it includes the following information and I will add yours if I may.

The Hitzler family intermarried with the Galls in British Guiana. The Hitzlers appear to have first settled in St.Martin before moving to Demerara. The only member of this family to hold public office in Demerara was James Shanks Hitzler.

JOHN LEWIS HITZLER

John was born in St.Martin and married Eliosha SHANKS in Demerara in 1824. It seems likely that James Shanks Hitzler was their son.
JAMES SHANKS HITZLER 1828-1876

James married Clara Augusta GALL [b.1845] in 1862 in Demerara.{not confirmed} He was appointedRegistrar of Demerara & Essequebo on 18th June 1867 {The Edinburgh Gazette, June 18, 1867}
He died at Brickdam on 15th May 1876 {British Guiana Colonists Index} Clara Augusta remarried in England.

Sarah Halmon Margaret HITZLER 1808-1887

Sarah was born in St.Martin and married Henry Beckles GALL in Demerara in 1827. After he died in BArbados in 1862 she moved to Canada where she died in 1887.

Henrietta Susanne Cunnagunda HITZLER
Henrietta married Mr Haley in 1819 in Demerara. It is possible that she was the sister of Sarah and John.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 12:21PM GMT
Hi

I realise you have not logged on for about a year so you will probably not see this message - but I saw your previous message about having a will by John Haley which mentioned his mother Janna Haley nee Jeems. This person may well be a relative of mine and would be grateful of any further information that the will may contain.

Regards
Steve Fuller

Posted: 8 Nov 2013 6:23PM GMT
Hi Steve.

Just seen the message! Sent you a personal message

David
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions