Search for content in message boards

Unrecognised place names - because they no longer exist FTM2012

Unrecognised place names - because they no longer exist FTM2012

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 1:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have the place name of "Arkengarthdale, North Yorkshire, England" and I can not get FTM2012 to recognise it in any decent respect, primarily because apart from the England bit, the rest of the place name has changed or no longer exists.

Firstly it doesn't show up Arkengarthdale, which is ok since it no longer really exists in the same form as it did back in the 1800's.

But even if I temporarily set that to one side, it won't even show up North Yorkshire as a place. This bothers me as well because I actually have a LOT of places classed historically as North Yorkshire.

How can I add North Yorkshire as a recognised place so that I can then add Arkengarthdale as a recognised place and have them both appear correctly in both the flat view & hierarchy view?

Thanks

Re: Unrecognised place names - because they no longer exist FTM2012

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 2:03AM GMT
Did you try Yorkshire North Riding or North Riding of Yorkshire?

If you did, I apologise.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 2:25AM GMT
no, because neither of those are the place name I want to have recorded.

I simply want to be able to add North Yorkshire as it was, and then add Arkengarthdale as it was, so that both are in the right locations and show up in my lists correctly.

I'm not after resolving the place name to what the location might be known as today, I really do want to record the place as it was 150 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:01AM GMT
For places that no longer exist by the same name, I either "ignore place warning" or move the 'offending' portion of the location to the description field.

Many members of my maternal line were born/lived/died in X county. That county was subdivided in 1875 and a portion became Y county. I have to be a bit creative to capture the records of those family members in a consistent location.

Sorry if I'm not understanding why one of those options does not work in your case.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:06AM GMT
If I ignore the place warning, the location doesn't show up in the Heirarchical list of places, and the only location in the place name as I want it that FTM does recognise is "England".

I want to at least make it recognise North Yorkshire as a lot of my family come from there - I have been accepting an alternative for Yorkshire for them, but I'm not happy with that.

Ultimately I want the places to be recognised so that when I create the travel map that a sister program can do, it shows the right locations.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:07AM GMT
kmthomster: Have I seen you on Facebook today? That town name is sort of unique.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:14AM GMT
rofl - why yes, yes I have - how very Conservative of you

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:23AM GMT
So - have you submitted your request to FTM/ACOM by feedback or customer service or help? This is a peer-to-peer discussion board. Since you don't like any of the alternatives suggested, you need to discuss with the powers-that-be.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:34AM GMT
No, I havent submitted anything yet, because I was hoping that there was a simple way to add a place name to the software that another person may have been able to help me do.

My understanding of submitting a request to the FTM people is that I'll email them and then wait for ages and hope that maybe the place name will show up as being a recognised name in a future edition of the software.

I know how to resolve place names, I'm not asking that - I am asking, how can I add a new place name to my software that will then show up in the list where it should.

If this isn't possible, then someone with that knowledge should tell me, not give me suggestions for trying things that are not what I want to do.

Thank you for your suggestions though, they are worthwhile, just not what I am asking for this time around.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:42AM GMT
To the best of my knowledge, what you want to do can't be done the way you want to do it.

This leaves you two choices:
1). Continue with FTM and use the workarounds suggested
2). Change to a program that lets you record places the way *you* want to record them.

Either choice is valid. It is just a question of what features (if any) of FTM you are willing to give up to get place names recorded as you wish them to be.

Andy (always fair and balanced) Hatchett
;)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions