Search for content in message boards

Issue importing GEDCOM into FTDNA

Issue importing GEDCOM into FTDNA

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 9:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jan 2013 3:46AM GMT
I like to use alternate facts such as name spellings or birth years from the census & the like, but I mark the most accurate facts as Preferred. These show up fine in FTM 2012 for Windows and online, however when I go to export to GEDCOM (from FTM)(for the purposes of uploading to FamilyTreeDNA), inevitably the first entered fact is exported, which is rarely the preferred fact. So my question is as follows:

1) Is there an option that can be added to FTM to force the GEDCOM export to take the preferred facts? It would be similar to the "Preferred Spouses" vs. All option in Exporting to FTM, but for names and birth/death dates and for the GEDCOM export type.

2) Right now I am doing a tedious and inefficient workaround of creating a temporary tree from which I manually delete all the alternate facts before creating my GEDCOM. Does anyone have a better way of doing this?

FTM programmers, a little help here?

Thanks!!

Brookes

Re: Enhancement Request: Option to export preferred facts to GEDCOM

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 9:27PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2013 9:29PM GMT
There are a number of options to export a file. What options are you selecting?

I use:

Entire File
Format 5.5,
uncheck everything,
ok
Destination: Other
Character set: UTF-8

WorldConnect recognizes my Preferred Name in that gedcom and shows it as the main name on each person's profile page, but ALL names for that person are included in WorldConnect's index for my database.

I'm not that much of a gedcom expert to know how WorldConnect knows which name is primary, but it does. I assume there is some kind of flag; and that it doesn't correlate to which one is "first", but I could be wrong.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 9:38PM GMT
Hmm. I've tried a number of different options - the only difference I saw was that character set ANSII supported accents - but I suspect that I could upload the same GEDCOM that doesn't work on FamilyTreeDNA to WorldConnect and WC could handle it. I seem to recall WC dealt with the preferred facts correctly. So maybe the question really should go to FamilyTreeDNA, wrt why it's ignoring the preferred values? The GEDCOM 5.5 format has to be supporting the preferred value flag or indicator, if WorldConnect can see it.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 10:07PM GMT
FamilyTreeDNA doesn't handled preferred names. They use the first one in the file. I've contacted their support about this and they said they were thinking about it.

I had to create a special ancestor-only tree for my direct lines and remove all names except the preferred ones before uploading to their site.

Rosemary

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 10:22PM GMT
Huh. From the file I looked at the first name listed was the preferred one, and subsequent were alternates. So I theorized that it was overwriting the good data with bad. Here's the message I posted to FTDNA forums:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?p=354462#post...

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 10:25PM GMT
Also I looked at the GEDCOM 5.5 format:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gc...

And it doesn't appear to have a flag for preferred name or fact.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 12:22AM GMT
You do not need a "Preferred Fact" flag in the GEDCOM. Please read the following from the GEDCOM standard.

"The order in which GEDCOM lines are written to a GEDCOM file is controlled by the context and level number. When the lines are of equal level number but have a different tag name then the order is not significant. The occurrence of equal level numbers and equal tags within the same context imply that multiple opinions or multiple values of the data exist. The significance of the order in these cases is interpreted as the submitter's preference. The most preferred value being the first with the least preferred data listed in subsequent lines by order of decreasing preference. For example, a researcher who discovers conflicting evidence about a person's birth event would list the most credible information first and the least credible or least preferred items last."

If your software does not support this concept then it is not GEDCOM compliant and this should be reported as a BUG to the support line.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 1:15AM GMT
Thanks all. I think it's pretty obvious that FTDNA is the one with the issue. I will put the above in my other post for the benefit of FTDNA programmers. The fact of the matter is that for FTDNA's purposes they don't really need the alternates. They're just displaying a very basic ancestry tree. Plus, they don't have any way to display them. Any research would be done elsewhere and then a new GEDCOM uploaded. So IMO all they need to do is modify their import to take the preferred (first in file) and ignore all the subsequent facts of the same type for the same individual. That's what I'm proposing they do.

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 9:53PM GMT
I'm having the same issue with preferred fact not the fact being loaded when the gedcom file is uploaded to FTDNA.

Has a resolution been found for this?

What work arounds have you used?

Thanks, Dawn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions