Search for content in message boards

List Living People in Family Tree or Family Tree Maker 2012

List Living People in Family Tree or Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jan 2013 9:26PM GMT
Surnames: Family Tree Maker 2012
I'm finding some people in my online Family Tree have been marked as "Living" as a Status within the Vital Information tab on the "Edit this Person" window. Some of these people are not Living. I would like to locate (or create a list) of all of these people with a Living Status either within my online Family Trees or Family Tree Maker 2012 so I may change this Status to "Deceased". I would like to make the changes to my FTM file and then sync it with my online tree to make the corrections if that is possible.

I believe the incorrect Status may have been created through an error within an imported GEDCOM file.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: List Living People in Family Tree or Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:39AM GMT
I would use the custom report in FTM to find all the people with "living"

Then you can go about editing them

I find the best way to categorise living people is to leave the date of Death field open. FTM will interpret this as a living person unless the person is over 113 year old

What is even more important is to "kill off" dead ancestors in FTM. If you don't have a Dod but know the person is deceased then type in "?" into the DOD field and FTM will convert this to "Unknown"

I have found that the new year range option in the index in FTM a wonderful way of quickly identifying those deceased people that need to have their records adjusted.

Also, when you are marking one or both person in a marriage as deceased don't forget to also update the marriage status from "Ongoing" to "Death of one spouse".

Run a marriage report to see who have died but FTM is still showing their marriage as "ongoing" which is obviously absurd.

John D

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 12:03AM GMT
If you know that a person is deceased but you don't have the death date, you can enter the word "Deceased" or "Dead" in the death date field. Then after syncing to Ancestry the person will no longer be listed as "living".

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 12:24AM GMT
You should be able to just place a "Y" (without qoutes) in the description field of the DEATh tag which based on the GEDCOM standard is the correct thing to do.

@Duff does this work correctly in FTM?

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:34PM GMT
FTM does support adding "Y" to the death description field, and TreeSync does transfer it to the online tree. However, having this information in the online tree is not enough by itself to remove the "Living" tag.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:33AM GMT
It should be since the GEDCOM standard says:

"1 DEAT Y should be used to imply a death known to have happened but date and place are unknown,"

I would say that this is a bug in the online software.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions