Search for content in message boards

How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 1:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Oh those complicated Norwegian names! I have a situation and am trying to figure out how to best enter this person into FTM2012. (And I'm sure this issue will come up with many others in my family tree, as well.)

For as long as I've been researching this Norwegian-American ancestor, I've usually found him in records as Andrew Emerson. His official first name, however, was Andreas. He also went by Andrew T. Emerson and A.T. Emerson. (The "T" standing for Tollefson since his dad's first name was Tollef.)

Andrew's last name of Emerson evolved from "Americanizing" the name Amundson, which was his dad's last name who also lived in America. (So his dad was Tollef Amundson.)

Now to make things more complicated, I just found Andrew's birth record for 1854 and he was baptized as Thorgeir Andreas Amundsen.

What's the right way to handle all these different names in the software?

Re: How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:31AM GMT
FTM allows you to enter as many names as you like and it allows you to select one as preferred for reports and charts etc.

It also has a good symbol feature that allows you to use the current umlauts etc

I would make good use of both the notes in FTM as as well as the sources so that it is clear to you and any other person looking at your file how the sequence works.

Remember FTM also has research notes that don't show up in regular reports

So firstly get all the names in with dates

Select the preferred one for reports and charts

Make copious notes and sources

Good luck

John D

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 3:37AM GMT
Thank you, John, for the tips...

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 4:16AM GMT
Just a follow up

This is a great example of how the FTM timeline is going to be very useful and you can print it as well.

If you get all the name changes in together with the dates (even approximate ones or 'before' and 'after', 'between', dates etc), and you use the other fact options in FTM like emigration and/or your own fact names if there is a fact that FTM does not cover, again with dates and also using the description field, you should end up with something quite interesting.

As you enter data keep running the timeline to see if you have all your dates lined up. The key bit is ensuring every fact (and names are a fact) have a date and also use the description field

Of course once you have done this, you can add your own family historical events and build up a good picture.

Then of course you can use the recent smart story update feature that were added to version 2012 and transfer it all into a smart story...

The options are endless

Enjoy

John D

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 4:25AM GMT
@NorskyGal,

Norwegian Names is one of the reasons I don't use FTM for most of my genealogy, It is not good at all with non-western naming convensions. It does not understand "no surname", or multiple surnames, or clan names.

1) Norwegians born and living in rural Norway before 1924 did not have real surnames.

2) Many indviduals in Norway appear to change names as they move around. This of course is not true but to western eyes and logic they are.

3) Individuals in the same house and generation could have different surnames in 1924. i.e. Two brothers could have different surnames

4) Individuals with true surnames have spelling differences.

5) If you can go back far enough people appear to have a "clan" name, just like they do in Ireland and Scottland.

5) People had "patronymic names", "geonymic names" sometimes they became surnames sometime they did not.

6) Some modern Norwegians are using a combination of inherited paternal names for their children. Much in the fasion that South American, Spanish and Portugues names are.

If you don't understand this, that's OK I've been doing Norwegian Genealogy for 20 years and most people I talk to have trouble.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:45AM GMT
@kj_norway,
But that whole complicated issue is what makes genealogy interesting and fun. If is were simple, you could just push a button and get back to the beginning of time. I like the research, I learn a lot of other things in the chase.
I have a list of questions ready for those that I may meet in the next life:)

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 4:06PM GMT
@TheDahlstedts,

Not sure why you say "But" in your comment. It sounds like you do not agree with something I said previously.

I agree 100% with you that learning about the real names used by anyone's particular family tree IS interesting and that is why I (as well) find it interesting. I love the research as well and in general provide support to newbies in Norwegian Research when ever I can because I love it so much.

The thing that frustrates me is that FTM does not get it regarding these complications and does not provide for solutions that support anything but common western naming convensions, and in fact go out of their way to break some of the things that work correctly (or better) in other programs.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 6:38PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2013 6:39PM GMT
Erase the BUT!(I seem to be losing my English) I am agreeing wholeheartedly with you. In FTM I have to rememember to erase the father's name for the child.
I have mainly Swedish names and the father's last name is not the name for the child. It is likely that the developers never heard of patronymic names. I wonder how the Russians deal with this,that is even more complicated.
I have asked about getting FTM in Swedish but no answer to that question.
I think you are doing a fantastic service in helping others. Whenever I get a chance I read the messages here and do learn from your answers to others. I think many others do this also. I was just trying to encourage you to continue - certainly not disagree with anything you said.
Betty Dahlstedt

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 10:46AM GMT
I was going to try out FTM, but if FTM do not handle patro/midlenames I guess I have try to find another software.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 11:47AM GMT
Do try FTM. I have been happy with it. In spite of what some people have said-the only errors I have had is because I did something stupid. Middle names are added with the first name:
Mary Elisabeth then the last name in the next box. Jones
FTM adds the last name of the father to the child....I just delete it out when I have a pstronymic name. Currently most children are bearing their fathers last name. It is just prior to 1900 in Sweden (and other Nordic countries) that the patronymic system was used.
Give FTM a try.
Betty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions