Search for content in message boards

Clift History

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 5:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Aug 2005 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: Clift, Edginton
I am looking for any publication or anywhere I can find any information about The Clift House or Francis Daniel Clift. Francis was my great grandmother's brother. At one time he owned or was in partners with someone who owned The Clift House, located then at 3rd So. and Main, I believe. I would appreciate finding any information about either the establishment or Francis himself. Thank You, Dottie

Re: Clift History

Posted: 26 Dec 2007 4:46AM GMT
my grandpa is dan clift in utah and yes some how realeted to the one ur talking about

Posted: 26 Dec 2007 5:23AM GMT
I would like to talk more about your Grandpa Dan.What was your Grandma's name? Email me at my regular email address
wdottiew@aol.com
Dottie

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 3:02AM GMT
My Great Grandfather was the saloon proprietor at the Clift House. He also was the saloon proprietor at the Cullen Hotel.

He had quite a reputation as a capitalist in Salt Lake City in real estate, mining ventures and saloons. He moved to San Diego in 1910 and opened a saloon/restaurant and died there in 1914 from alcohol poisoning.

Attachments:

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 2:24PM GMT
Hello.. I was very interested in your post about THe Clift House. My great grandmother, Ruth Emma Clift was Dan Clift's sister. I understood that Dan was owner of this establishment. The last time I was in Salt Lake there was still a door onto the street that said 'Clift House'. Would you happen to have any pictures of the saloon or anyone or maybe a story or two about the place, that you would like to share? I know that Dan and his wife Virtue had no children of their own. When Dan passed away, he left his estate to his nephews, my grandfather being one. My grandfather invested his money in a movie theater. When talking films came in my grandfather invested in what was supposed to be the best talking equipment made. It was ok but not great. My grandfather sold the theater and moved his famiy to Alhambra, CA where he had 2 sons living. I was raised in Alhambra, married a man from Baldwin Park and we lived in La Puente and West Covina. Seven years ago I moved to Boise, Idaho where I now live.
Dottie

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 5:05PM GMT
I wish I had photos to share.

My Great Grandpa was Joe Hause.
I spent years researching and collecting newspaper articles, marriage, birth and death certificates, property transfers and you name it... just to find out who my Gr-Grandfather was. My final search led me to the Wyo. state archives in Cheyenne into one of the worst snow storms Wyoming has seen in quite a while this past April. I found the marriage certificate for My Great Grandpa and her first wife (married 3x, the 3rd was my Great Grandmother). With that last bit of information I was able to connect all the dots.

But, aside from that, I knew who GG was and where he lived. Salt Lake City was the most prosperous for him. He made a name for himself in SLC. He worked for the Clift House when it first opened, but just for a short time. He moved on to the Cullen Hotel as the proprietor of the saloon, where he stayed for many years.

I was hoping someone would have photo of the Clift House with photos of the saloon. So far, I haven't found anything.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 6:13PM GMT
I have found quite a few pictures of the Clift House on the Internet, along with stories of Dan Clift and the history of The Clift House. None of these have I been able to copy so that I could make a photo of them. In fact I have not even been able to send them to my genealogy in Ancestry. I have never seen one of the inside of the building nor the saloon. They all say that Dan Clift's money was left to his wife but none mention that a share of it he left to his nephews. I know that to be the case as my grandmother told me that was where Grandpa got the money to start up the theater. I do have a picture of The Clift House taken from kitty corner across the street, somewhere in these many boxes of files (that I am going to organize someday).
Dottie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions