Search for content in message boards

"Family Tree Executable has Stopped Working" FTM

"Family Tree Executable has Stopped Working" FTM

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 2:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
FTM16 on a Windows 7 computer - I'm trying to make a pdf file from a Family Group Sheet. I go to view>reports>Family Group Sheet>File>Export Family Group Sheet to Adobe Acrobat. Then I have a box to name my file, which I do and then I get a message "Family Tree Executable has stopped working" and windows tries to find a solution but it does not, and then it makes me close the program.

I looked at other threads on this board which deal with this problem. Checking the FTM administrators under FTM properties I found that I am administrator in FTM, I think. I find there are four options listed:
1. SYSTEM
2. Joy (Joy-Insp-660s\Joy)
3. Administrators(Joy-Insp660s\Administrators)
4. INTERACTIVE

I think it should either be either number two or three. I am checked in all boxes for Joy (the second option). When I try and add "Administrators" the third option, the boxes are checked but grayed out. If I try and add the third option (Administrators) it brings me to another box that I have no idea what to do with that says Select Users or Groups and wants to know about Object Types.

Why does this have to be so complicated. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Joy

Re: "Family Tree Executable has Stopped Working" FTM

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 9:04AM GMT
The AMYUNI PDF generator in FTM 16 will not work under Windows 7. This has nothing to do with Administrator rights per say but if you install the updater you then need to first run FTM as an Administrator. The link below has details.

You can install the updater and details are on the FTM KB

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2777/kw/FTM%...

Note if you are running Windows 7 as 64 bit (unfortunately you don't advise this detail) the updater may not work. The KB article notes:

Note: These versions of Family Tree Maker are not designed to work on Vista or Windows 7 64-bit. Although you may find success using Family Tree Maker on a 64-bit operating system, we cannot offer any support for problems you may encounter in this environment. This article and patch will only work for Vista or Windows 7 32 bit.

An other alternative is to install a PDF generator, either Adobe Acrobat, or Nuance, or one of the many free ones and instead of exporting to PDF print and select the PDF driver as your printer.

Or update to FTM 2012 which will work correctly in Windows 7

John D

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 3:27PM GMT
Agreed! The reasons why FTM decides to crash have nothing to do with Admin rights. I've got FTM 2012 on Win 7 and it has by far the longest log of any application in the Windows problem list (run from msinfo32).
"Windows is trying to find a solution" may as well be cancelled immediately, as it never does find the cause. This happens with the odd other prog from time to time, not just older ones.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 6:41PM GMT
I recommend the free PDFCreator available from SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/). Once you install it just print your report from FTM and select PDFCreator as the printer. You will find lots of other uses for it as well.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT
Thanks for all the responses and excellent information. I do run a 64 bit system. I'll try the other suggestions but also I have FTM 2012 installed on my Windows 7 computer but have been resisting migrating over to it. Guess this will force me to. I've been exchanging information with a cousin who does not have a genealogy program installed so all she could receive from me were family pages in Adobe. I have now figured out how to generate them in FTM 2012.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions